Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

Nice build...what kind of connectors are you using with the TKD pot ? I usually end up with some fiddly soldering. They are nice pots...I use the smaller stepped one which has a nice feel and sounds as good as I can tell

Nothing fancy just simple jumper kind of cables with the end at the RCA jacks stripped out the plastic connector and using direct soldering. Pot has leads which I did not want to solder them directly and I do have crimping tool to make myself using some nice tin plated wires which I usually do.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
It's finally finished and it's sounds phenomenal!!! Just got the volume knob to change then I'm happy. Really pleased with how my own power supply performs too. It's super quiet! :)

Congrats Gaz. I tried powering mine up this evening. Good news is that there was no smoke. Bed news is that right now it sounds terrible :(

I tested each channel individually and they pretty much both sound the same. Pretty distorted output. I tried it initially with a set of Bose noise cancelling headphones, and when they survived I tried my Focal Elegias. Pretty similar results with both sets of phones.

All I've checked so far is the output voltage (with no input connected) which hovers around -0.02mV on both channels. Back to the drawing board and start some troubleshooting next week.

I do have some of those around, never thought to use them for this purpose...something new to learn every day....

I just ordered some myself. I have a number of switches and pots that would be just as fiddly to solder. And then you have to worry about solder bridges and connectors bending and who knows what. These jumpers look excellent, at least at the pre-final stages. Then I'm looking to minimize mechanical connections...

Congrats Gaz. I tried powering mine up this evening. Good news is that there was no smoke. Bed news is that right now it sounds terrible :(

I tested each channel individually and they pretty much both sound the same. Pretty distorted output. I tried it initially with a set of Bose noise cancelling headphones, and when they survived I tried my Focal Elegias. Pretty similar results with both sets of phones.

All I've checked so far is the output voltage (with no input connected) which hovers around -0.02mV on both channels. Back to the drawing board and start some troubleshooting next week.

If you get stuck goto my site and drop me an email. I may see something you have missed. Hope this helps. :)

@Gaz2613,

Have you had a chance to compare your BA2018 to the Whammy (and the plethora of op amp rolls you have done?!).

Best,
Anand.

To be honest they are both very good but I think the Linestage slightly has the edge. To me it sounds just that little bit cleaner maybe because the gain is slightly lower therefore less distortion. Both still have their place for me. :)

Joined 2018
Paid Member

I think I have found the problem with my board. Some idiot soldered Q8 and Q20 in backwards. :headbash:

Now that I've got over the embarrassment of that error, and before I start to desolder them, I was wondering whether I've possibly damaged something else in the process. Is it worth replacing Q8, Q10,mQ20 and Q25 while I'm at it? I think I have a few spares lying around. Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Gary

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Just a temporary test set up until I can get a better enclosure sorted out. But, after getting Q8 and Q20 the right way round, it's alive and making sweet music! And with no input connected and the volume turned full up its dead quiet. I'm very happy with the results and even more grateful to Papa and Wayne for sharing.

Attachments

• IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    878.3 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    785.1 KB · Views: 615
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Looks good!

Did you connect -IN to GND?

Hi there,

Yes, after that little hiccup with the reversed components I went back and re-read through the whole thread and went over the schematics a couple of times, comparing to my board. IN- is linked to ground on the reverse side of the PCB on each channel.

Thanks for the help guys. Now..... what's next????

All the best,
Gary

Hi there,

Yes, after that little hiccup with the reversed components I went back and re-read through the whole thread and went over the schematics a couple of times, comparing to my board. IN- is linked to ground on the reverse side of the PCB on each channel.

Thanks for the help guys. Now..... what's next????

All the best,
Gary

What's next? Enjoy it!!! ;)