Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes, if it wasn't for the extra hole in front panel and arranging front panel I would ALWAYS use two pots.

People's worries about constant "rebalancing" and "you wont hit it right" are meaningless. Guess what, a single pot isn't dead on either! Worse, it typically varies as you turn through the range. At least with two, or a balance pot you can.
Hooking them up so they both turn at same time removes the utility.

Russellc

Thanks for that link/reference 6L6. (you always have great info/advice!)

The coarse/fine control idea is a really good one. The HFNRR article I mentioned above was one such design.

Having the facility to, first, adjust for source level differences and general level desired and then actually have fine control of the listening level that seems best is quite attractive.

I'm not as convinced of the dual control to deal with balance.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks for that link/reference 6L6. (you always have great info/advice!)

The coarse/fine control idea is a really good one. The HFNRR article I mentioned above was one such design.

Having the facility to, first, adjust for source level differences and general level desired and then actually have fine control of the listening level that seems best is quite attractive.

I'm not as convinced of the dual control to deal with balance.

It's something I haven't really done much, only one build, the B1. The factory First Watt B1 had dual controls, so I cloned that feature as well.

I intend to finish my second BA 2018 LS, it will only have one volume pot. I would like to get away from resistive type pots altogether and follow the model that Zenmod uses with Iron Turtle...Autoformer style.

Russellc

There is a cheaper smaller one also available from TubeCAD, which will enable me to fit everything into a 230mm wide, 280 mm deep 1U Galaxy chassis from Modushop...it does mean three holes in the front panel and you solder in all the resistors yourself but what the hey?

Could you send a link?

I found TubeCAD mentioned on the Glass-ware stores, and this was the same link as 6L6 shared. $34 for a kit and you solder all the resistors yourself. FrontPanel

size appears to be similar to what you found, "The FrontPanel PCB is 1.4 inches (36mm) tall and 6 inch (153mm) long and will fit within a 1U rack-mount enclosure"

I would like to get away from resistive type pots altogether and follow the model that Zenmod uses with Iron Turtle...Autoformer style.

A quick search of the intertubes tells me the advantages an autoformer would have over resistive type pots.

Interestingly, the idea which may have kicked off the autoformer movement
The Slagle Autoformer Volume Control Modules Flawless reproduction of ambient clues and amazing spatial impression. Review By Dick Olsher

is a box with FOUR knobs. "Left" and "Right" each have independent course and fine adjustment knobs.

:hphones:

Hello guys!
Are these good for the PSU?

This a dual power supply for hifi equipment. The PSU provides 100 mA of power without using heatsinks, and more than 300 mA with heatsinks mounted.

The power supply only requires a single AC input, from a 15-18 volts AC wall adapter (not included) or transformer.
2018-06-25T21%3A52%3A24.907Z-psu-screwterm.png

AN_0209__05140.1593814622.1280.1280.jpg

Any recommendations? Thank you!

Abe

Hello guys!
Are these good for the PSU?

This a dual power supply for hifi equipment. The PSU provides 100 mA of power without using heatsinks, and more than 300 mA with heatsinks mounted.

The power supply only requires a single AC input, from a 15-18 volts AC wall adapter (not included) or transformer.

6L6 mentioned that Muffsy PSU earlier in the thread (found via thread search tool). He said "it works great and is very compact".

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Just finish my adapted Salas UltraBib with on/off, tested with a 2X20V , 12Va 229B40 Hammond, will use it for the new UGC muse preamp with 2X28V, 12Va 229B56 Hammond.
I have cpl of board left, may be that will be good with BA 2018. if interested PM.

Attachments

• IMG_3031.jpg
    IMG_3031.jpg
    823.8 KB · Views: 726
  • IMG_3033.jpg
    IMG_3033.jpg
    832.2 KB · Views: 721
Here is my build so far. Just got the front panel to drill out and mount holes for the Linestage PCB then wire it all up. Should have it up and running by tomorrow evening all being well. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200806_004838_A.jpg
    IMG_20200806_004838_A.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_20200719_003734_copy_1152x1536.jpg
    IMG_20200719_003734_copy_1152x1536.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 335