Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sorry guys, I picked the wrong setting when I added the product and it screwed up the shipping calculator. I've fixed the error and confirmed it's working. You may need to wait a few hours for the Shopify shipping rate cache to refresh if you're trying again using the same address, but I just checked and it seems to have already refreshed for my test addresses. If you experience any further issues please email contact@diyaudiostore.com. Thanks!

I successfully got boards and some keratherm in cart and purchased, but the discount code you had given me a while back wouldn't work. I went ahead with purchase for fear they would sell out, and sent an email in regard.

Likely some user error on my end, glad to see these boards make it to store.

Russellc

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
the discount code you had given me a while back wouldn't work

Please contact the store helpdesk (contact@diyaudiostore.com) regards that.

Did I read somewhere that the warehouse is in MA?

About 2 years ago we moved logistics (storage and shipping) from using a large 3PL in PA (3rd Party Logistics service) where we were just a number (Shipwire) to a friendly family owned and run 3PL in MA where they know us by name (Sprocket Express). We've been happy with the move. They suit the hobbyist / micro-business nature of the store and idiosyncrasies associated with making small batches of kits and resolving issues that arise (read: flexibility to help with fixing problems!). But also they have the staff and capacity to ship out hundreds of orders in a day when stock of a pre-order or in demand item comes back in stock without breaking a sweat. So best of both worlds.

This PCB was delayed due to multiple factors including myself, C19 related PCB manufacturing and shipping delays and then packaging delays. Glad it's finally available :)

Last edited:
Thanks all for taking the time.

I have a pair of purples that I built up. I am not happy how the smt gets came out. this was back when I was seeing two of everything - thanks to lifestyle changes and big pharma miracles much better now! Please take care of yourselves fellow diyers.

Probably will take another year, but I look forward to hearing this line stage.

Power Supply Question

Ordered the board components yesterday from Digikey (Mouser is out of stock for the forseeable future on the KSC1845) so my mind has turned to a power supply for this project.

Obviously a Whammy-style PS would be ideal but since I will not be using it to drive headphones, I'm thinking a 36V SMPS with a TLE2426 precision rail splitter. Watching the BA video and looking at the slides, it looks like this circuit draws around 15mA, well within the 20mA limit of the rail splitter.

Am I missing something here? I can always build it up and measure the current but no sense doing that if someone already knows the current draw into a 10K or higher impedance load.

I ordered the alternate output transistors as well but not sure if they are necessary if this is only a preamp.

Ordered the board components yesterday from Digikey (Mouser is out of stock for the forseeable future on the KSC1845) so my mind has turned to a power supply for this project.

Obviously a Whammy-style PS would be ideal but since I will not be using it to drive headphones, I'm thinking a 36V SMPS with a TLE2426 precision rail splitter. Watching the BA video and looking at the slides, it looks like this circuit draws around 15mA, well within the 20mA limit of the rail splitter.

Am I missing something here? I can always build it up and measure the current but no sense doing that if someone already knows the current draw into a 10K or higher impedance load.

I ordered the alternate output transistors as well but not sure if they are necessary if this is only a preamp.

I already have the PSUs on the way. :) And based on my own scope measurements on the single rail PSU. It will be just as quiet. :D

Attachments

• 11204356.jpg
    11204356.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 840
  • DS0001 - My PSU - 1st Caps.BMP
    15.2 KB · Views: 191
  • DS0002 - My PSU - 2nd Caps.BMP
    14 KB · Views: 135
  • DS0003 - My PSU - 3rd Caps.BMP
    13.8 KB · Views: 142
  • DS0004 - My PSU - Output After Regs and Smoothing Cap.BMP
    13.8 KB · Views: 162
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Please contact the store helpdesk (contact@diyaudiostore.com) regards that.

About 2 years ago we moved logistics (storage and shipping) from using a large 3PL in PA (3rd Party Logistics service) where we were just a number (Shipwire) to a friendly family owned and run 3PL in MA where they know us by name (Sprocket Express). We've been happy with the move. They suit the hobbyist / micro-business nature of the store and idiosyncrasies associated with making small batches of kits and resolving issues that arise (read: flexibility to help with fixing problems!). But also they have the staff and capacity to ship out hundreds of orders in a day when stock of a pre-order or in demand item comes back in stock without breaking a sweat. So best of both worlds.

This PCB was delayed due to multiple factors including myself, C19 related PCB manufacturing and shipping delays and then packaging delays. Glad it's finally available :)

Thanks!

Russellc

Joined 2002
Paid Member
It does double the current but the distortion stays about the same. The current was a bit low compared to the input stage and that may be unusual but it works fine anyway. Mark Johnson noticed this before my presentation at BA 2018 and this seems like a good compromise. Feel free to play around with the value if you want just watch the power dissipation.

Gaz2613:

Is your power supply designed for both 115 and 230 VAC, and will you be offering a group buy? Oh, and what's the size of the pcb?

Regards,
Scott

Hi Scott yes the board supports both voltage inputs but you must configure it for the required voltage using jumper wires just like on the whammy. The board size is 218mm x 94mm.

I can organise a group buy once numbers are known as I will put an order in for more boards to be made.

Regards

Gareth