Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

Layout...

Some progress on my Wayne BA 2018 linestage build (finally!).

Any comments on the planned layout (attached)?

Power supply board is from GlassWare Audio Design (bare PCB in picture, not populated yet), transformer from Antek 2 x 18V.

Drawn the wiring using Paint.

The bottom plate is aluminium 13" x 12". I can possibly reduce the depth of the case by 3"-4", resulting in sorter input/output wires.... but that means more work. :)

Attachments

• Wayne BA18 preamp layout 02 diy.jpg
    Wayne BA18 preamp layout 02 diy.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 895
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Listening to it now. Sounds very nice. The cap coupling was key to getting rid of all that DC drift on this circuit.

Couple of questions please. You are talking about your boards that can go on Marks M2 version, or your Yarra (which I believe the boards are in my drawer), or are you using The boards 6L6 distributed a while ago? I m going to look through my pile of boards to make sure I got those.....I bought several boards from you!

Could you elaborate on your coupling caps used, voltage, uF, etc, and I suppose these just went on the outputs? Have meant to try something like this on my Wayne's 2018 line stage, little bit of DC until it settles, very little.

Thanks in advance,

Russellc

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Couple of questions please. You are talking about your boards that can go on Marks M2 version, or your Yarra (which I believe the boards are in my drawer), or are you using The boards 6L6 distributed a while ago? I m going to look through my pile of boards to make sure I got those.....I bought several boards from you!

Could you elaborate on your coupling caps used, voltage, uF, etc, and I suppose these just went on the outputs? Have meant to try something like this on my Wayne's 2018 line stage, little bit of DC until it settles, very little.

Thanks in advance,

Russellc

Yes, the Yarra/M2X format boards. But I am using on Yarra - more info here:
The YARRA Preamplifier/HPA for Melbourne DB Group Buy

Basically the BOM specified huge input Wima 10uF MKP input cap and the dual 4700uF 35v back to back Nichicon output caps bypassed with a 5uF 50v metallized polycarbonate cap - although any 2.2uF to 4.7uF film cap could be used here.

787943d1571143115-yarra-preamplifier-hpa-melbourne-db-buy-79d4d145-2760-4995-a65d-4a84ddaeb2cc-jpeg

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes, the Yarra/M2X format boards. But I am using on Yarra - more info here:
The YARRA Preamplifier/HPA for Melbourne DB Group Buy

Basically the BOM specified huge input Wima 10uF MKP input cap and the dual 4700uF 35v back to back Nichicon output caps bypassed with a 5uF 50v metallized polycarbonate cap - although any 2.2uF to 4.7uF film cap could be used here.

787943d1571143115-yarra-preamplifier-hpa-melbourne-db-buy-79d4d145-2760-4995-a65d-4a84ddaeb2cc-jpeg

Thanks. Going through the group buy thread, I see That I did in fact get those boards. Are the coupling caps you added in the bom or do I need to add them?

Time to assemble these boards and try them out!

PS:
Whoops, I see you state above that they are in the BOM. Thanks again!

Thanks,

Russellc

Last edited: