Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

Good industrial design and thoughtfulness can balance all that.

The human interface and technical performance are both important. They should go hand in hand through the design process.

The overriding organizing principle -- I want it this way because that's the way I want it -- might play a role too.

Some mocking up might be required.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
...effort I went through to carefully measure and chop the VRDN heatsinks to fit 1U. :)
I really don't need more than 4.

Well, so did I, though I’m still with 1U (and therefore have space issues for volumecontrols, extension shafts and whatnot :p

I‘d stick with 4 connectors, and eventually add a nice dac ... phono will probably be difficult due to its sensitivity to ... noise.

I was originally going to build a full Salas setup (DCG3, DCSTB, I-Select) but ended up changing to BA2018 because the GB was taking a really long time. But also I changed to this project because people weren't freaking out about having the best of everything installed, e.g. >$100 pots and high end selectors. Trying to keep it simple for this attempt!

I'm going to try this as is, and it might work well! If there are noise issues, I will try things like mounting the transformers to the back of the front panel, since IIUC there is less noise as you get out of the plane of the toroid. I can try wrapping the toroids in my scrap mu-metal. Etc. If it still has an annoying hum I will start trying moving things around. But I'm not going to make big changes until I've heard it. I've seen smaller chassis builds with the transformer closer to the signal lines without problems being mentioned.

I‘d stick with 4 connectors, and eventually add a nice dac ... phono will probably be difficult due to its sensitivity to ... noise.

Oh, I wouldn't put the phono stage in the pre! It would be in another box (or I'd buy a ready made one). But honestly I don't own any vinyl, and it would be better for my bank account not to start looking for another way to spend $/€/£. :)

Cant seem to find the right lighting/microscope combination to read the value on these caps and my meter does not have a way to measure these.
Can someone tell me which one is 5pF

Attachments

• IMG_20200927_152054039.jpg
    IMG_20200927_152054039.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 600
I still have to do all my signal wiring, but I did my layout so I could possibly add some partitions if needed:

This is a 2U Slimline chassis. Since I had extra headroom inside I added the optional bottom plate (installed upside down). The wires from the IEC to the front switch go underneath. After the switch it goes to a terminal block with a noise suppression cap. Then the power splits to the two 15VA transformers, each with its own fuse. I am hoping that putting the transformers into the corners helps with any noise.

If there is a noise issue I can see 2 options. Buy some angle iron and install between the PSUs and the preamp. I also have a large piece of mu-metal (I think) that came with my F5 transformer. Assuming I don't need it in the F5 I may cut it and wrap it around the smaller transformers. I won't be bending it, just making a smaller circle, so hopefully that doesn't ruin the mu-metal.

Fun stuff! Haven't tested anything with speakers yet though, just multimeters, so it will definitely be interesting using the BA2018 and F5 for the first time!

Nice!!!