Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Wayne's BA 2018 linestage
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2019, 10:38 AM   #771
gary s is offline gary s  Australia
diyAudio Member

Refer to schematic in post #1, it shows R6 as being a 1k5 resistor in parallel with trimmer P1 at 5k ohm. The marking is wrong for the resistor value.

Also post # 69 from 6L6 (Jim) refers also to the resistor R6 as being 1k5.

So you use both the resistor soldered to the rear of the board with a 25 turn 5k trimmer pot - use a good quality pot (Bourns /Vishay Spectrol) and not a generic no name Chinese made pot.
Old 25th July 2019, 12:18 PM   #772
manniraj is offline manniraj  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary s View Post
Refer to schematic in post #1, it shows R6 as being a 1k5 resistor in parallel with trimmer P1 at 5k ohm. The marking is wrong for the resistor value.

Also post # 69 from 6L6 (Jim) refers also to the resistor R6 as being 1k5.

So you use both the resistor soldered to the rear of the board with a 25 turn 5k trimmer pot - use a good quality pot (Bourns /Vishay Spectrol) and not a generic no name Chinese made pot.
Thanks Gary, yes I got a bourns one as per the BOM from Mouser. Will solder a 1.5k resistor underneath the board. I am planning to power it up with my existing Salas Ultra BiB 1.3 boards with +/-18 to 20v as I am going to reuse these boards from my DCG3 preamp.
Old 25th July 2019, 10:11 PM   #773
gary s is offline gary s  Australia
diyAudio Member

Those power supply voltages will be ideal, let us know how it sounds, thanks.
Old 13th August 2019, 08:15 PM   #774
Mark Johnson is online now Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

FYI, Wayne's original choices for the higher power transistor option (KSC2690AY and KSA1220AY) are now in stock at several distributors. It might be wise to buy a few tubes of them now, while they're easily available.

_
Attached Images
File Type: png NPN.png (43.7 KB, 405 views)
File Type: png pnp.png (41.0 KB, 407 views)
Old 13th August 2019, 10:56 PM   #775
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Oooohhhhh!!!!

Grab some while you can!

Old 14th August 2019, 08:55 AM   #776
chede is offline chede  Germany
... fascinated by amps
diyAudio Member

I'm actually very happy now with the alternatives Toshiba TTA004B and TTC004B ...

Regards, Claas
Old 15th August 2019, 09:25 AM   #777
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Are the higher power output transistor option only if you want to drive a headphone?
As a normal line stage the original design should be sufficient?
Or would the higher power transistors be a benefit here also?
Old 15th August 2019, 11:33 AM   #778
chede is offline chede  Germany
... fascinated by amps
diyAudio Member

From what I read in the thread, the original transistors are perfect for line stage duties.

I have only built the preamp with higher-power transistors, so can't comment on sonic benefits ... I have put the transistors in sockets now, and also the resistors that would needed to be changed for putting in the smaller transistors, so I could try one day ...

Jim (6L6) may be able to comment, as he has built both versions .

I did have in my first iteration 2SA1220A / 2SC2690A from Inchange Semi in my preamp, and did change them to the Toshibas when they got pointed out in this thread by Patrick (EUVL).
Not sure if there was a real difference soundwise, maybe the preamp is a bit smoother and more engaging sounding with the Toshibas, but that could be imagination ...

Best regards,
Claas
Old 15th August 2019, 12:32 PM   #779
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The intent of the larger (TO-126 package) output transistors was to give effortless power for headphones. It also happens to sound outstanding in line stage duties.

I have built it with the TO-92 outputs and with the A1220/C2690, and both versions sound wonderful. Build it in which ever configuration appeals to you, you will be very happy with the results.
Old 15th August 2019, 01:57 PM   #780
Centurion53 is offline Centurion53  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
The intent of the larger (TO-126 package) output transistors was to give effortless power for headphones. It also happens to sound outstanding in line stage duties.

I have built it with the TO-92 outputs and with the A1220/C2690, and both versions sound wonderful. Build it in which ever configuration appeals to you, you will be very happy with the results.
6L6

I have completed my line amp with the boards that you sent me back in the spring but have not had a chance to fire them up as I have been working about 80 hours a week this summer. However, that is over and I should be getting a chance to try them out as soon as I get the power supply board done. My question is, there was mention earlier in this thread that there would be boards available for this preamp through the diyaudio store. Do you know if this is still going to happen, I would like to build another one down the road.

Wayne's BA 2018 linestageHide this!Advertise here!