Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Wayne's BA 2018 linestage
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM   #701
chede is offline chede  Germany
... fascinated by amps
diyAudio Member

Default Wayne's BA 2018 line stage completed

This is the follow-on to posts #619 Wayne's BA 2018 linestage and #681 Wayne's BA 2018 linestage.

After my transformer had arrived from Toroidy, I could go and finish the PSU.

I have built a separate PSU, connected with an umbilical to the preamp case.
For the PSU, I used a Modushop Galaxy 2H case.

Wayne's BA 2018 linestage-psu-completed-jpg

As discussed, I put the boards for Wayne's linestage into a "passive preamp" case I bought via eBay, complete with relay volume control and remote control for volume and inputs, The transformer I had removed from that case and put into the PSU (front left), together with a generic regulated PSU to bring something like +15V to the preamp for powering the relays and control circuitry.

Top left in the PSU case in the photo is a Schurter line filter – the 0.6A version, as that has better performance with low mains current draw then the higher-current versions.

For the main PSU to power the boards, I bought a kit from eBay that uses a pass MOSFET and error amplifier per rail. This is powered from a 2x24V transformer.

Wayne's BA 2018 linestage-power-supply-board-kit-bay-jpg

The preamp itself has a headphone output in parallel - no need for a switched headphone jack, as I could simply leave the power amp switched off.

Wayne's BA 2018 linestage-preamp-completely-wired-headphones-parallel-output-jpg

After adjusting voltages I could get the voltage offset down to a couple mV. (preamp has to be completely warmed up for that, as usual). AC on the outputs below 0.1 mV (my DMM stated 0.07-0.08 mV, but I think that is too close to the limits of the DMM to be accurate).

This is how the preamp looks in the system:

Wayne's BA 2018 linestage-wayne-2018-linestage-action-jpg

So, how does it sound ?
First, it has a turn-on thump (capacitor-coupled outputs), but no switch-off noise. In use, it is complety silent over my 100 db/W loudspeakers - no hum, no noise.

It sounds very good to me - lots of information, good staging, very transparent, balanced, but also engaging. Voices have this quality to stop you in your tracks and make you drop everything else just to listen.

What's interesting is that when I compare the sound, my Aikido linestage (E80CC / 6N6P) has a bit more high-frequency detail / content.

When measured on my oscilloscope, Wayne's linestage is clean and flat out into the MHz range (my signal generator stops at 2 MHz, and there the linestage still has not reached its -3dB point).So I don't really know what's responsible for this.

Can't decide if I like my Aikido more or this linestage - need to listen way more ...

What will be next: I plan to do distortion measurements with the current set-up, and then exchange the output transistors (2SA1220 / 2SC2690 from Inchange Semi) for Toshiba TTA004C and TTB004C (as per the tip from Patrick / EUVL).

Best regards, Claas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSU completed.jpg (945.2 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg Power Supply board - kit from the bay.jpg (774.6 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Preamp case completely wired - headphones in parallel with output.jpg (309.6 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Wayne 2018 linestage in action.jpg (488.1 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by chede; Yesterday at 07:20 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #702
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manniraj View Post
... is the Mouser cart BOM of this build posted on this thread sometime back, for a single board or stereo boards?
I don't know the answer. But I have an idea which might help you figure out the answer yourself.

The schematic attached to post #1 of this thread, includes resistor "R23" whose value is 330 ohms. There is no other 330 ohm resistor on the schematic. Only R23.

You might be able to look at the Mouser cart BOM of this thread, and count up how many 330 ohm resistors it includes. If the answer is one, you know it's for a single board. If the answer is two, you know it's for a pair of boards (stereo). If the answer is more than two, something very weird is going on!
Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM   #703
Centurion53 is offline Centurion53  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Can someone please clarify on the Mouser cart BOM of this build posted on this thread sometime back is for a single board or stereo boards? So do I need to double it before ordering the project as it is now saved as a project in my mouser account.

thanks
I believe 6L6 created that BOM and if its the same one I used it was parts for both boards. To be on the safe side Id check with 6L6.
Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM   #704
JPS64 is offline JPS64  Germany
diyAudio Member

@chede

TTA004B and TTB004B, C type is NRND.

JP
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM   #705
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Can someone please clarify on the Mouser cart BOM of this build posted on this thread sometime back is for a single board or stereo boards? So do I need to double it before ordering the project as it is now saved as a project in my mouser account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Here's a Mouser cart -

Mouser Electronics

Cart ID # - faf14ca149

This is just the stuffings for STEREO PCBs except one item, the Jfets, which Mouser doesn't have. EDIT: Nevermind, they have everything to stuff the purple PCBs, project cart updated.

DigiKey has a bunch of them... Get (8) for stereo -

2SK209-BL(TE85L,F) Toshiba Semiconductor and Storage | Discrete Semiconductor Products | DigiKey

If anybody wants to make an equivalent full Digikey order please share it here.

The info you seek is in the same post with the link...

Old Today, 01:43 AM   #706
manniraj is offline manniraj  India
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mark, Jim and Centurion53

Wayne's BA 2018 linestageHide this!Advertise here!