Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

I finally got my BA2018 Linestage going. I'm not a good writer....

Had time for a brief listen. I've been using the NS10 circuit for years - pretty faithful to the original. The NS10 can be described as 'brutal' in my opinion, and it goes well with amps with 'character' I think. Very fast sounding, accurate, slam etc. The KSA50 of preamps? I liked it well enough to be happy for a long time.

I haven't listened very long but my initial impression is that the BA2018 sounds quite accurate as well. I think it sounds more refined - not that things are 'shaded', just a bit more polite :) I like it! I want both because i have different moods.

two amps now are the M2 and the T S/500.

Few lousy pics so ZM doesn't yell at me.

Just using LM317/LM317 PSU dual Mono. Shielding covers for good measure. I am considering putting the NS10 under the other cover. I use a separate arduino / remote controlled relay attenuator so no POT in there....

Nice lil' amp! Thanks Wayne, and all involved!

Attachments

• 20200527_141410.jpg
    20200527_141410.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 1,220
  • 20200527_141429.jpg
    20200527_141429.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 1,227
  • 20200527_141600.jpg
    20200527_141600.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 1,221
Joined 2003
Paid Member
What exactly is difference between balanced, and X'd?
I never was clear on that? Once again....oh well you don't find out if you don't question.

Getting ready to order parts for new store board to switch in place of old boards, and install I-Select.
Have thought about getting another board and do balanced, or perhaps X'd?

Thanks,
Russellc

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
let's wait to Wayne, to give you most proper answer

he already wrote (or it was Jim, but info certainly is from Wayne) that - with later pcbs (stereo pair), balanced operation is enabled using additional jumper

that's just my idea that using existing channel, and copying/adding everything after LTP to left side, will be more elegant than "simply" bridging two existing channel in one balanced

in any case, I presume that Wayne's jumper solution is resulting in same X-ing

btw, not all balanced stages are having feedback paths arranged in X, that being SUSY and Ultrasymmetry (in lesser amount)

that's pretty much Papa's thing, even if existing in some electromechanical devices since time of 15...... ooooops, 10 Commandments

:)

Thanks to you both. I think I might go for 24 volts, then. My preamp has 11 dB gain at 6 ohms (and a 50k Alps pot) and my speakers are 97 dB, but in a fairly big room. It's "loud enough," just barely. I listen to a lot of classical music and often there is more dynamic range than in other recorded genres. I have this nagging feeling that I might like having a bit more headroom. It's easy enough to experiment and see how it works. It might be a few months before I construct the preamp, but I'll report back with how I like it. Currently I have a SET 1626 amp between the pre and the F4 and that combination sounds great. Would be nice to not have two amps running once in a while . . .