Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Wayne's BA 2018 linestage
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2020, 12:12 AM   #1281
Gaz2613 is offline Gaz2613  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Here we go again! Yes it's a render hence no bolts or logos etc. It's not the final design and I am aware of the cost difference between the surface mount and through hole trimmer packages. Part numbers will be included when the final board is finished and a BOM is compiled.
Old 29th June 2020, 01:16 AM   #1282
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Absolutely fantastic!! They are great regulators for sure.

Would be great to see pads for discrete diodes, and CR snubbers. Looks like there’s reason me room to do it.

Don’t forget the standby switch on those regulators, it’s a neat feature.
Old 29th June 2020, 05:33 AM   #1283
rikiheck is offline rikiheck
diyAudio Member

What kind of power supply does this thing need?
Old 29th June 2020, 06:53 AM   #1284
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Absolutely fantastic!! They are great regulators for sure.

Would be great to see pads for discrete diodes, and CR snubbers. Looks like thereís reason me room to do it.

Donít forget the standby switch on those regulators, itís a neat feature.
The snubber cap and diode IC package is located on the bottom left of the board below the transformer. As for the standby feature, I've already implemented that but I may move the connector location yet away from the rear of the board.
Old 2nd July 2020, 09:46 PM   #1285
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikiheck View Post
What kind of power supply does this thing need?
Waynes BA2018 Linestage requires a Bi-Polar PSU which means you need a PSU that has both positive and negative outputs. According to 6L6 the sweet spot seems to be +/-18v. Hope this helps.
Old 2nd July 2020, 09:51 PM   #1286
diyAudio Member

Okay this is the final design I have chosen. I have also managed to reduce the size of the PCB further. The overall size of this power supply is now 160mm x 100mm and has been designed to slide straight into a Hammond 1455T2201 enclosure but still has grounded mount holes for customised mounting. Once I am happy with everything, I will be using this one for my BA2018 Linestage build. I also updated the trimpots to through hole as per Marks suggestion as they are cheaper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Linear Reg-PSU-REVB-SMD-1.jpg (94.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Linear Reg-PSU-REVB-SMD-2.jpg (94.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Linear Reg-PSU-REVB-SMD-3.jpg (97.6 KB, 91 views)
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:04 PM   #1287
ZUM911 is offline ZUM911  Australia
diyAudio Member

Great job Gaz.

Wondering if the screw terminals need to be moved in to give room for the wires if the supply is put in the hammond case?
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:10 PM   #1288
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUM911 View Post
Great job Gaz.

Wondering if the screw terminals need to be moved in to give room for the wires if the supply is put in the hammond case?
I only designed the board to slide into the enclosure. You would have to ensure the room for the wires. The board should be a tight fit so shouldn't slide back and fourth but you could always implement stoppers on the rails to keep the board secure or I could add a couple of extra mount holes to use to stop it moving if needed.
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:37 PM   #1289
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz2613 View Post
... [the PCB] has been designed to slide straight into a Hammond 1455T2201 enclosure ...
That's a great idea, congratulations! I hope the transformer body is placed far enough inboard that it won't scrape the left hand wall when the card slides in. The right hand side with the heatsinks, appears to have plenty of spacing. It might just be an illusion caused by viewing angles....
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:41 PM   #1290
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
That's a great idea, congratulations! I hope the transformer body is placed far enough inboard that it won't scrape the left hand wall when the card slides in. The right hand side with the heatsinks, appears to have plenty of spacing.
Thank you Mark. I am sure the spacing is enough but I will triple check it when I have a bit more time and make alterations if needed. I am having a hard time sourcing some of the resistor values in the correct surface mount package so I may just go back to through hole for all components as it seems there is plenty of room on the PCB so kind of defeats the whole object of using the surface mount components in the first place! 😂

Wayne's BA 2018 linestageHide this!Advertise here!