Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

Two PCBs (seem to) work!

I dared to try soldering these SMDs and ... :):)
Big thank you Wanye and 6L6.

I have not heard them yet. I also need to try in BA-3 pre chassis.

Attachments

• 2019-02-12 16.51.33.jpg
    2019-02-12 16.51.33.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 1,218
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hard to tell from your image but did you mount your board with 3 standoffs and pinch the board with washers and screws?

Yeah that's what I did. I used the ones with the threaded post on
one end and the board rests on the standoffs snugly agains
the post. (Added a nut first to give a big more area for the pcb
to rest on) Then another nut to tighten things down a bit.

I was going to add a 4th standoff but so far it seems fairly stable.

Dennis

I also finished mine yesterday and listened with it for a couple of hours. Sounds really good with nothing nasty to report. Straight forward build. The best part of my build is that I had everything in stock and did not have to order anything else. My regulated supply is just an Ebay Chinese one that works fine. Bud box I had laying around that was never used along with a 15V toroid. I just used hot glue and some wood blocks with a grove cut in them to mount the boards. I so not expect any problems down the road from mounting them that way. I plan on finishing up the build today, hooking up a switch on the input to use two sources and doing some testing.

Attachments

• P1030814.JPG
    P1030814.JPG
    542.5 KB · Views: 1,145
Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
I also finished mine yesterday and listened with it for a couple of hours. Sounds really good with nothing nasty to report. Straight forward build. The best part of my build is that I had everything in stock and did not have to order anything else. My regulated supply is just an Ebay Chinese one that works fine. Bud box I had laying around that was never used along with a 15V toroid. I just used hot glue and some wood blocks with a grove cut in them to mount the boards. I so not expect any problems down the road from mounting them that way. I plan on finishing up the build today, hooking up a switch on the input to use two sources and doing some testing.

Nice!

I just finished running some test on my build. The sine and square waves were excellent on my scope up to 20K, where I stopped. Using the Arta software distortion and noise were at the lower limit of my test setup. In other words much as what Wayne described at the BAF. Sound stage is excellent using my BA-1 amplifier. I like SE amplifiers.

I almost forgot to thank Wayne for generously working up the circuit for us diy'ers and Jim (6L6) for going the extra mile making the kits for us as well. My understanding is he is a pilot in the Air force so making the kits is just a hobby for him. A lot of effort goes into ordering all the parts and separating them for individual kits.

I hope our store decides to stock the boards as well. Linestage's are something lacking in the store. I know we have the BA3 front end boards to make a linestage but after building a few of them I would call it alright, nothing special. My LSK linstage presented by Nelson at the BAF is much better. How it compares to this one is something I will have to find out.

Again, thanks Wayne and Jim.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Installed the TubeCad Dual/Bipolar LV Reg. It’s really quite nice, slightly quieter then the 317/337 reg installed previously.

Attachments

• F2052FDB-AF00-48E1-9B51-B41B704AF918.jpg
    F2052FDB-AF00-48E1-9B51-B41B704AF918.jpg
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 2,915
  • 660A6263-7CE5-417B-845C-72A82A42F231.jpg
    660A6263-7CE5-417B-845C-72A82A42F231.jpg
    968 KB · Views: 1,243

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Wdecho - I have, but obviously can’t A/B it as the ba3 used to be in that very chassis... and I think I like this one better. The ability to drive headphones (using the big output transistors) is absolutely worth the change by itself. My headphones are 25ohm and it’s got zero issues at hearing damage levels, and sounds fantastic at reasonable listening levels.

The blue Broskie supply was +/- 24v, worked beautifully. The new red Broskie board is set to +/- 18v, and also works great. The red board is a little quieter, I think, as it’s a blacker background kind of thing instead of a less noise thing. (If you know what I’m getting at...)

Labjr- I will try the Silent Swicher powered by a battery pack, does that count? I sorta think so... :)