How to use these huge caps in PSU for F5?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got my hands on some really huge 68000uF/40V caps, or rather four of them (may get an additional two), and I'm thinking about doing a PSU for my F5 using them as I kind of like the look of them.

However, my skills in the PSU domain are limited at best, so I would appreciate some help. Using the standard Pass F5 PSU schematic, is it possible to simply replace C1&C2, C3&C4...with one of the caps, or would that mess things up?

Thanks,
Fredrik

Attachments

• file-3.jpg
    file-3.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 432
Joined 2010
Paid Member
No reason you can't swap them straight in frankly. There's no penalty of any form, and macho manly sized power supply's are all the range here at diyaudio ;)

I've a set of 8 100000uF 30V caps here somewhere, that i'd intended to use in a similar amp. However they're too big for the largest heatsink cases I could make sooo... they've remained unused!

Thanks for the reply Aspringv,

So, if I would get my hand on two additional caps (having in total 6 available for use) could I throw them into the mix as well? What I'm thinking is that the amount of uF will be different before and after the R in the CRC circuit. (i.e 1x68000-R-2x68000).

Is that "unbalance" a bad thing?

Thanks,
Fredrik

On the PSU schematic CL-60 thermistors do slow-start work, so no worry about in-rush current.
Try first time Your new PSU with cheap speakers.
If you need buy components or have 15000 uF ~ 25000 uF then configuration
can be CRC first cap ~ 20KuF + 4x 0.47R | 3watt's metal oxide
( or 1x 0.1R | 20 watt's wirewound ) power resistor :
50W/100W 0.01-5k Ohm Watt Shell Power Aluminum Housed Case Wirewound Resistor | eBay
+ second cap 68KuF.
Some Diyer use choke in place of resistor in CLC configuration :)

Attachments

• D6440CA0-3285-425B-8E90-CB9F0E0A22D6.JPG
    D6440CA0-3285-425B-8E90-CB9F0E0A22D6.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 359
I've got my hands on some really huge 68000uF/40V caps, or rather four of them (may get an additional two), and I'm thinking about doing a PSU for my F5 using them as I kind of like the look of them.

However, my skills in the PSU domain are limited at best, so I would appreciate some help. Using the standard Pass F5 PSU schematic, is it possible to simply replace C1&C2, C3&C4...with one of the caps, or would that mess things up?

Thanks,
Fredrik

That’s totally fine to do, just put R (resistor) or L (choke) between the two caps. You won’t need more than a single cl60 most likely. I use 6x33,000uf with a single cl60. Be aware that the stud on that capacitor may be connected to ground and will need to be isolated.

Thank you for all the input!

Thank you all who has helped answering my questions, as well as pointing out potential problems.

I'm going for a standard CRC setup using in total 4 of the caps.

As some of you have pointed out the in rush current may be an issue, but I have a separate soft start Circuit (with 4xCL60 and a by pass relay) which takes care of that...

Once again, thank you all for valuable input!

Cheers,
Fredrik

Thank you all who has helped answering my questions, as well as pointing out potential problems.

I'm going for a standard CRC setup using in total 4 of the caps.

As some of you have pointed out the in rush current may be an issue, but I have a separate soft start Circuit (with 4xCL60 and a by pass relay) which takes care of that...

Once again, thank you all for valuable input!

Cheers,
Fredrik

That is just the kind of softstart you never should use. They have parallell connected thermistors. two and two in parallell and the two couples are series connected. Or all 4 are in parallell.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Hubba, is it one of these by chance?

Just be aware that I think theres some pretty reasonable leakage current through this item. I used on on an aleph build and the led's on the amp boards would never quite go off... concerning enough that I unplugged it.

I should really open that guy up and do some checking actually!

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.