ACA amp with premium parts

Puma,

I never could get the power supply to be quiet until I mounted it in a separate
case. I think that part of it for me was not having enough space to really lay it out neatly, plus not enough space to have the filter supply reserve I wanted.

Never had any noise problem with the Meanwell 24 volt brick, but I had a devil of a time getting the linear supply to work quietly. It was thrilling when I finally got it to work well.

I am waiting on some new mosfets to try. Presently I have the IRFP044's for both Q1 and 2. The one I am going to try is the Cree C2M0280120D.
They have similar characteristics to those SemiSouth SJEP120R100 ones that Mr. Pass uses in some of his amps, but the Semi's are not made anymore and run around $100 a piece on ebay. Thats a lot of doe-ree-me, so I will try in the $4 range. If they sound better than my 044's, Great! If not, the bank still has a few coins to spare for edibles, and I do like the 044's the best for my speakers so far:)

That is true that the power dissipation is a bit lower, really half of the IRFP044's.
According to the 19 volt amp camp, it said each mosfet would be dissipating about 10 watts, but the higher voltage would up that some. Not as much of a fudge factor for sure:mad:
Afraid of a little heat Scarecrow? Yes Sir I am a bit worried!
Den

Puma,

I never could get the power supply to be quiet until I mounted it in a separate
case. I think that part of it for me was not having enough space to really lay it out neatly, plus not enough space to have the filter supply reserve I wanted.

Never had any noise problem with the Meanwell 24 volt brick, but I had a devil of a time getting the linear supply to work quietly. It was thrilling when I finally got it to work well.

Yeah, the Meanwll 24V 5A PS works okay, the main problem with a SMPS is they spew high-source leakage current to any power distribution system they are connected to. For analog, this is not a problem, but for digital streaming systems, it causes increased clock phase noise and jitter. I'm trying to mitigate that as best as possible by using a Shunyata Delta NR v2 power cord, which is connected to my Shunyata Everest power distributor.

The switching noise associated with a switch mode supply is above the audible limit and above anything a speaker is capable of producing.

Adding a small capacitor to the rail won't offer anything significant.

You will need to check, but regarding output impedance of the supply, I believe most switch mode supplies are quite good in this regard. So adding a small cap won't make a significant improvement.

If you want to do something better you could get a 30V switching supply then linear regulate down to 24V inside the amp. Not guaranteed to give an audible improvement but you could try.