Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

ACA amp with premium parts
ACA amp with premium parts
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2019, 01:49 PM   #101
Rudi_Ratlos is offline Rudi_Ratlos  Germany
diyAudio Member

In case that somebody likes to build the "Premium Parts ACA#1":

I offer you a pair of the "PremiumParts - ACA#1 PCBs" (size is 100 x 80mm) for 15 plus shipping.
Be sure: the PCB is proved and its sound is absolutely irresistible.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unbenannt.JPG (160.0 KB, 286 views)
Old 13th February 2019, 03:18 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

James, in post #88 you are telling that the bridge-rectifier that you have ordered, drops about 1.5V per active diode (resulting in about 3V across the bridge amplifer).

In the meantime I have done the layout for a "discrete MUR8x0 - rectifier", including snubber RCs.
I have ordered the PCBs today (one PCB containing two full-bridge rectifiers, having the same height as the ACA - PCBs, you can break the PCB with your fingers) and
I will send you a PCB (for nothing, of course, but shipping cost, if you like to have) as soon as I have them.

Best regards - Rudi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brd.JPG (67.2 KB, 215 views)
Old 14th February 2019, 10:19 AM   #103
gary s is offline gary s  Australia
diyAudio Member

Nice layout Rudi, on the rectifier PCB (and your amp PCB as well). One point is that since there are 2 rectifiers bolted either side of the TO220 heatsink with a common screw, one will need to insulate the TO220 devices with TO220 Keratherm pads and use Nylon screws. Or use the newer fully insulated TO220 devices - one being the MURF860G (600V at 8 amps), available at both Mouser and Digikey, and slightly cheaper than the non insulated normal TO220 package. I would still use a thin smear of good heatsink compound with these newer devices for best heat transfer.

There is also a very good white paper available on diode snubber circuit design which I am sure has been posted previously on this forum, maybe another member has a link for it.
Old 14th February 2019, 10:38 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

One question Rudi, on the Amp PCB what is the maximum diameter for the 3 off large snap in electrolytic capacitors?
Old 14th February 2019, 10:44 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

The grid of the 3 "big" capacitors on this PCB is 10mm, the max. diameter is 25mm.

Best regards - Rudi

P.S.: What is not shown on the image, but what I always do: to bypass the "big" output capacitor C1 by a small MKP (470nF - 1F) underneath the PCB.

Last edited by Rudi_Ratlos; 14th February 2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 14th February 2019, 10:44 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that Rudi.

ACA amp with premium partsHide this!Advertise here!