First time F5 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@Rayma, I see what you're saying but In my application, my bedroom cabinet is pretty small with not a lot of area for heat to dissipate. So I was thinking I could put one pretty box under my Tv for aesthetics (The amplifier) and hide the PSU somewhere with good ventilation. I believe it would overheat or damage my furniture if I kept it in one box.

Joined 2011
I could put one pretty box under my Tv for aesthetics (The amplifier) and hide the PSU
somewhere with good ventilation. I believe it would overheat or damage my furniture
if I kept it in one box.

The power supply dissipation (diode blocks and resistors) is small compared to
that of the audio channels. Instead, I'd use a cooling fan on each heat sink,
or else turn down the bias until your placement changes, if it's only short term.

Last edited:
Got my words mixed up sorry. I meant the PSU under my TV and the amp somewhere else. Unfortunately its not short term :( Is it a bad idea or just not ideal?

I put together the BOM Digi-Key - Fast Add still unsure on the other values for the Input snubber resistor and Input snubber Capacitors. Im using a single Antek 4218. I'll do some reading but would like a second opinion before I order.

Joined 2011
Got my words mixed up sorry. I meant the PSU under my TV and the amp somewhere else.

I would go with a single chassis. The audio boards/sinks are the biggest and hottest parts,
so the entire amp may just as well be somewhere else. There isn't any size or thermal
advantage to separating out the power supply, since the audio chassis would still be the
same size and heat dissipation.

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Here is a thread that has some good PSU pictures. You can see the exact capacitors being used. I think these higher total capacitors than the PSU needs, but I don’t think it matters - Vishay 22000uf 35v. I also ask the same question about the CL60 but Digikey doesn’t have the part, had to order it from Mouser.

I just bought all the stuff myself but haven’t received it yet and went through all the questions you have and eventually figured it out after a month or so.

Here’s the post

diyAudio F5 Build Guide

Snubbers are not required for the F5 so don't worry about that.

Suggest these three things for a successful build:
  1. Buy the F5 kit of parts from the DIYaudio store. You will have all of the correct parts that have proven to fit the board and play well together. It's cheap insurance.
  2. Follow the 6L6 build guide religiously. Again, a proven build process that others have followed with great success.
  3. Continue to ask questions in the F5 forum if unsure about any step.

Can anybody give me some advice on what jumper cable and wiring I should use throughout the amp? Getting a lot of conflicting information. @Silasmellor, so the purpose of the snubber is to clean up the power from the Transformer? are there any other parts that can be considered optional?

Thanks

Oh okay cool, so the Universal PSU board has space for 8 caps. Thats good. Thanks for all the help. The F5 kit and boards should be getting here soon so I'll solder that up and do some more research in the meantime. If I have more questions is this a good place to ask or should I start a new thread?

One more question-what type of jumpers should i use to connect the boards?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.