First time F5 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay guys I'm sorry in advance because I'm sure this has been addressed before but I'm completely out of my depth and having trouble finding a step by step guide to building the PSU. I found the transformers but I am unsure which capacitators to use for a regular F5 build. Which brand, type, voltage, mF, etc.

Thank you, I can't wait to hear this thing!

The rectifiers are what turns the AC into DC and the soft start is the thermistor wired into the power input leads.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:
So these are necessary to build a functioning amplifier? Or just nice bits to have. Also I'm taking a look at parts for the PSU and once again I'm a little confused. I read that the T0-247 are the way to go for resistors, but i checked out mouser electronics and I have no idea what the correct resistance is. Does it matter? Is this something I should be able to figure out myself?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The Antek AS4218 is an excellent choice.

AS-4218 - 400VA 18V Transformer - AnTek Products Corp

A TO-247 packaged resistor is usually a very high wattage one (say 50 to 100W).
You don't need anything like that in building an F5. For the power resistors,
the Panasonic 3W ones are a popular choice. For the smaller ones, standard
1/4 to 1/2 watt through hole 1% metal film resistors will be fine.

Cheers,
Dennis

So these are necessary to build a functioning amplifier? Or just nice bits to have. Also I'm taking a look at parts for the PSU and once again I'm a little confused. I read that the T0-247 are the way to go for resistors, but i checked out mouser electronics and I have no idea what the correct resistance is. Does it matter? Is this something I should be able to figure out myself?

This might help you:

An illustrated guide to building an F5

You can buy boards, download BOM (Bill of materials) here:

F5 – diyAudio Store

T0-247 is the case shape of the resistor....has nothing to do with the resistance value. And yes, the resistance value is important. And they are, for you, probably not the way to go (expensive, they won't fit the boards in places and they are way overrated for wattage in most positions). Stick to the guide and BOM.

And yes, some of this stuff you should be able to figure out on your own before you build the amplifier. Otherwise, it's going to be very frustrating. But you will get there. Keep studying. Don't work on anything involving voltage from the wall (mains voltage) until you understand what you are doing. For safety's sake.

Okay, this is actually starting to make sense to me. All of your guidance has been indispensable. So just to be clear. I'm looking for 3w Panasonic 2.2k Ohm resistors? Sorry for the redundancy but this is my first time building any sort of electronic and as Hikari1 says, Safety First :) Also does the resistance matter on the capacitors?

It is somewhat funny that the power supply boards were my biggest stumbling block when wanting to build my first amp. There are detailed builds and specific parts lists for the amp boards themselves but the parts lists for the power supplies are more fluid and often say things like "Use the appropriate part for your transformer voltage". I guess it is because of transformer differences and some of the amps using different voltages. But for those of us that don't understand all the math of the build it can be a bit to take on.

For the real amateur the jump from Amp Camp Amp to full build can be a sizeable challenge. Go, slow, read, read again, read one more time and then post what your plan is, then build and test as you go.
And realize when you ask a question many of the people answering know this stuff inside out, backwards and upside down so they may not instantly remember how little some of us know so be patient and ask again if necessary.

It looks like the various build threads have most of the components for the power supply mentioned but it does take some digging through them. When I built my M2 I went with the power supply boards from Tea-Bag on here and they came with a very good BOM at the time. I haven't been able to locate the BOM he had for them though.

I'm looking for 3w Panasonic 2.2k Ohm resistors?
Also does the resistance matter on the capacitors?

On the power supply board, each large resistor is 0.47 ohms, 3 watts.
The capacitors are rated for voltage and capacitance, not resistance.
The spec is 15000uF and 25V, but you are much better off with a higher
voltage rating, at least 35V.

Last edited:
Wow thank you so much the responses, I honestly was not expecting this much support. Makes me feel a h*ll of a lot better about building this.

Just out of curiosity, I'm planning on putting the rectifier and transformer in one box and the amplifier section in a different box for good airflow. I was thinking about building an F5t in the future and was wondering what I would have to change in the PSU to make it safe (Larger Transformer and Capacitors?).

Thank you so much for the overwhelming support everyone, I cant tell you how helpful this is. Invaderzim, are you reading my mind through my screen? Scary. Anyways I'm in the process of putting a build list together as was suggested and will post it when completed.

In the meantime I had a random thought, I'm thinking about putting the PSU and the Amplifier in two different chassis for ventilation purposes. Is it okay to have a long distance wire run between the rectifier and the amp? And in turn a long distance run from the Amp to the speakers. Thanks again, can't believe how lucky I am to be able to ask all of you questions and actually get answers!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.