Suggestions for first amp build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Simonas,

Where are you located? It may help members with suggestions for sourcing parts.

If you are using the diyaudio store chassis, then the chassis baseplate is definitely
worth getting.

A few members have already suggested Aleph-J and M2 (or M2x), and I recommend them as well.

If you want to go the Aleph-J route but are worried about sourcing parts,
you might consider Mighty Zen Mod's variation of the Aleph-J:

Babelfish J package

Cheers,
Dennis

to keep my costs down I used the base Dissipante 4U chassis with 300 depth when I built my Aleph J. It has a thinner aluminum front panel but is still very nice (to me) and I’m happy with the look.

I found following store where you can pick front panel thickness for dissipante as well: modushop

Looks like it is the same chassis as the ones sold by diyaudiostore. Has anyone had experience buying from modushop?

The only thing I would have done differently is to mount the transformer vertically

Would getting 400 depth version allow to be flexible on transformer placement?

Agreed, that base plate is the bomb...
Awesome, will definitely get it.

tracking down 2SJ4s - be prepared to pay for these ever increasingly rare JFETs
Where did you get your JFETs? Are there any alternatives that are easier to get hold of?

Where are you located? It may help members with suggestions for sourcing parts.

Anything from continental Europe works best for me. I can ship from UK as well.

you might consider Mighty Zen Mod's variation of the Aleph-J

Thanks for the link, would make life easier getting kit with parts :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
-Modushop - pleasure to work with

-4U/400 is swiss knife of Modushop cases , regarding FW format amps ; enough place even for dual mono

-base plate - much easier when you have one

-J271 (matched) - work as charm in Aleph J instead of Toshibas , due to CCS biasing ; tnx to Elephant , who farted in my ear decades ago , I can't hear difference between them :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.