Pass X150 and BAT VK3IXSE gain problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. I have a Pass X150.
Previously I had a Mark Levinson 28 preamplifier and it was a near perfect match, both electric and timbrically

Now I bought a BAT VK3IX SE pre but I'm not happy about the matching with the Pass.

impedances should be ok:
1k Ohm output impedance the BAT and 22k ohms input impedance the PASS. The ratio is 1:22. Confirm?
It is a rule that minimum ideal ratio is 1:10?

However the Pass gain is too high (30db?) and therefore I can not increase the volume over 25/100 and 40/100 with SACDs

I also perceive a sense of fatigue and dirty sound. there is not a much black background like with solid state preamps.

I would like to know :

1. there is a way to decrease the gain of the Pass through internal switches?
2. Anyone has yet matched BAT preamps with PASS X series power amps ?

Please help me ,

Marco

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The amp has the same gain either way, but the source might easily
have twice as much running balanced.

You can reduce the gain arbitrarily by inserting resistance in series with the
to inputs. For example, 10 Kohm will drop it about 6 dB, 20 Kohm 12 dB and so
on. It won't hurt the performance of the amp, but it is necessary to have both
+ and - lines treated the same.

Please, another question...

Why the Pass Labs XP20 pre balanced output impedance is so high (1000Ohm) while the input impedance of Pass Labs X series amps is around 20.000 Ohm and the balanced input impedance of the new XP22 pre is only 50Ohm?

If I will buy an XP20 (1000Ohm) pre may I have problems with the impedance of the Pass X150 amp? (22.000 Ohm)
It is better the XP22 ? (50 Ohm)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.