Pass TL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my version of the "Pass TL" that I built from a drawing that I saw somewhere on the Intrawebs. I am using a Pioneer BU20F20-51F (8" fullrange) and Dayton Audio ND20FA-6 (6 ohm tweeter) The Pioneer has a zobel and a baffle step compensation circuit, but no crossover. The Dayton tweeter has a 12db/oct L-R crossover at 7600 hz. The bass is surprisingly good, deep and articulate, considering it is a single 8" driver. I have built several different speakers with the Pioneer driver. Bought a bunch of them before they were discontinued. This is the best yet. These speaks are imaging champs. I have looked but have not seen any other builds from this design on the web. Would be interested in hearing from others who have built this.

Attachments

• DSCN0579.jpg
    DSCN0579.jpg
    752.1 KB · Views: 652
That's it! These speakers were relatively easy to build and sound amazing considering how inexpensive the drivers are. They are big, but produce enough bass in my room to not need a subwoofer and second amp/crossover. I am using them with a Harman Kardon Citation 5 amplifier (~30 watts/channel) and they get plenty loud in a 500 sq.ft. room.

I was looking at the frequency response graph printed with the plans. The bass response below 100 hz is pretty close to what I measured in my room with the mike about a yard directly in front of the BOFU. But, this doesn't take into account the contribution of the transmission line. With a 6db BSC circuit in line with the woofer, I get strong bass down to 40 hz in my room. When I first set them up, I was planning to use a bass boost circuit for the bass. Turns out these speakers don't need it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.