ACA power supply 19.5V, mystery third wire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
So I needed a new power supply for my old ACA build, and fished out this whopper from the Junk box. 19.5V at 11A? Sure! Should be fine.

On stripping the wire though, a mystery third, low gauge, wire was revealed...

This seems to have been connected to the +19.5 contact at the plug end. But on checking the PSU, it seems to sit at 18.2V potential.

Any ideas, what's it for?

Attachments

• IMG_20180902_093633.jpg
    IMG_20180902_093633.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_20180902_094638.jpg
    IMG_20180902_094638.jpg
    995.3 KB · Views: 227
I had a laptop (toshiba I think) where there was a center pin as normal. but the barrel portion had an inner and outer. The outer part of the barrel was 0v, and the inner part of the barrel was the same potential as the center pin.

From what I could tell, the battery charger power feed, and the laptop power feed were two separate circuits.

It's a signal wire for the connected device to identify it. Typically a 1-wire memory device is connected at the other end that stores information about the power supply.

The power supplies typically don't do anything, but eventually if it ever comes a day where we need to use USB-PD supplies (at 20V 5A) our lives might get a bit more complicated.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.