Thresholds Stasis 3 + AI Modulus 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tonight I finally had enough time to power on the system and listen.

The chain is:
DAC Metrum Acoustics Octave mk2
Pre Audible Illusions Modulus 3 (with Amperex 6922)
Amp Threshold Stasis 3 (Factory upgraded to e/serie)
Speakers ADS L1230

My humble ears got great satisfaction listening to Miles Davis and to Mino Cinelu/Kenny Barron.

The first thing I noticed is that the sound stage is extremely wide, it feels like the room has no walls anymore.
The sound is very clear and extremely rich of details, the percussions are punchy and controlled.
I feel like the preamplifier has all the olography that you'd expect from a high-end tube preamplifier, but the timbre is not too warm as with other tube pre, and I personally like it like this.

In conclusion, aside from some hum generated somewhere inside the Threshold (I need to have a look at the PSU filter and at the ground wiring as soon as I have some spare time) the system is giving big pleasure to my hears.

Last edited:
Thank you mr Pass!

I inspected the PSU and I discovered that the screw connecting the V+ wire to the capacitor positive terminal was loose.
I firmly screwed it in and the hum has magically gone.
My guess is that the impedance between the V+ and the capacitor positive terminal was higher than (virtually) zero because of the loose connection, thus the PSU filter was not effective.

My ears are happier now :) :) :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.