Separate Power Supply for First Watt Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This may be useful to you. Pico never actually shared the schematic (I think!) but I'd imagine a few of your questions might be answered there.

I may have something soon if anyone is interested, a shunt reg, parts arrives a couple of days ago, knocked up a basic circuit, at the moment it's working at 1.23A, was going to develop it over the next week but iv'e had my annual leave cancelled again :irked:
Shunt reg shoot out
Please jump in with criticisms observations or recommendations. The TL431 is missing a resistor from the top of the preset to +S.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I put together a two channel mono rail supply designed for the F2 (from Kinku) and was planning on casing it seperately so that it can be tried with my ACAs.

I thought to treat it like an oversized laptop supply, as the 24V Meanwell supplies running the ACAs now. Just put IEC, tranny, bridge rectifiers and PCB with CRC and CL60 provisions in box with outputs to a properly rated 13A umbilical that can be plugged into either the ACA or F2 amp cases. Umbilical cables would be minimum length. Maybe 18 inches at most.

I’m wondering if I should also reconsider.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I may have something soon if anyone is interested, a shunt reg, parts arrives a couple of days ago, knocked up a basic circuit, at the moment it's working at 1.23A, was going to develop it over the next week but iv'e had my annual leave cancelled again :irked:
Shunt reg shoot out
Please jump in with criticisms observations or recommendations. The TL431 is missing a resistor from the top of the preset to +S.

Please, this is putting my power supply on hold for right now, lets see what this is about!

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Shunt reg shoot out

I would suggest all here glance at the link provided by Ismee, very interesting power supply read. Let's see this scaled up to power amp size, winter is coming.

Russellc

Russellc

...this is putting my power supply on hold...

Don't wait for me, you can always add it later if something comes from it.

...Let's see this scaled up to power amp size, winter is coming...

There's no reason I can think of that it can't be done, definitely need more FETS.

I personally would only regulate the driver stage, every time I tried regulating the output stage it strangled the sound, YMMV.

Average bias of Papa amp 1.2A, leave class A at x2 bias, plus a bit more for the circuit = 2.5A minimum (mono), I'll scale it up after I'm happy with it :smash:

Joined 2010
Paid Member
At a thought, perhaps outputting 2* floating outputs, and a ground wire might be an idea. Makes it possible to stack the supplies to use on a f3 or schade amp.

Or you could wire a switch on the supply to do that for you. Probably on the inside so you can't flip it by accident...

Thank you for the idea, that's a thought for further down the line, I was pondering a single floating supply, can be stacked or made + or - by swapping the current limiter.

No one has pointed it out yet, the TL431 is missing a 1K resistor from the top of the pre-set to +S :eek:

Last edited:
@Russellc
finished yours?

i have built 2 versions of my diy audio rack, the idea to keep everything together. but now I'm bored to see so many items in front of me so decided to move out the rack and just put dac and cd player in the centre and monoblock amplifier on each side

with my 2 chassis amplifier and separate psu box, i have 2 options:
1. only need to extend DC cable length into 2.5m (room width is 5.8m) and put psu box in the centre below dac
2. disassemble psu box and put toroid + CLC on each amplifier chassis which become true monoblock build

- i have seen commercial amplifier with separate psu chassis but with 2.5m DC cable will be safe? (option 1)
- toroid and inductor on same chassis with circuit board might give negative impact, also it's a shame the nice teak wood chassis should be dissambled (option 2)

any opinion which one is better?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1566474921411.jpg
    FB_IMG_1566474921411.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 461
  • FB_IMG_1566474929322.jpg
    FB_IMG_1566474929322.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
No, got side railed by Wayne's 2018 line stage, and Sissy Sit....however Sissy Sit getting close, need 5u chassis then will start in earnest with steel 4or 5U box (likely 5U, as more room and steel case without heatsinks is more inexpensive)for separate power supply. May cannabilize existing amps power supplies but hate to hack apart anything that is working....

Russellc

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
dunno, in overall scheme , price of Donuts and several caps is not going to break a bank

I see some Greedy Boyz paying plenty for terminals alone ...... go figure

I'm perfectly happy with Neutriks for input and ancient Hirschmans for output

in short - each of my amps is deserving own guts :)

with self lockwown and WFH i can get extra time to rework my FW clone. previous seperate psu box which make monoblock, now i put each toroid on each box with J2 and M2 board on each side. i can switch the supply easily with Powercon connector.

Attachments

• 20200329_051946_HDR.jpg
    20200329_051946_HDR.jpg
    643.4 KB · Views: 241
  • 20200329_173403_HDR.jpg
    20200329_173403_HDR.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 238
  • 20200329_172813_HDR.jpg
    20200329_172813_HDR.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 219
  • 20200329_172834_HDR.jpg
    20200329_172834_HDR.jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 20200329_173115_HDR.jpg
    20200329_173115_HDR.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 132
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.