SissySIT

M25/sissysit construction

I am a scrounger and dumpster diver. Have used many recycled parts in my builds including an ACA amp enclosue made of only recycled heat sinks(pic). After following this thread and seeing the mighty ZM' s t-bed example, I was inspired. Thru the years I have accumulated a lot of stuff, mostly good stuff. So I dug thru the pile. Found what is a possible donor for reviving. A AR D-52 and a set of Zelman CPU cooling sink fans.

Two issues yet to be resolved. The original beautiful copper shielded bifilar transformer will deliver a solid +-21v using the 240v primary wiring on 120v. Is that going to be enough to get operation on track, or what is the consequences. Secondly, the distance to the input transformers to this power transformer center is, I expect about 8in/20cms. Is this distance great enough to reduce hum interference?

Attachments

• m_DSCF0010.jpg
    m_DSCF0010.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 652
  • m_DSCF0009.jpg
    m_DSCF0009.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 640
  • m_DSCF0011.jpg
    m_DSCF0011.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 643
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I expect input xformers are going to be too close to beastie ...... however , let's hope that 240Vac primary , fed with 120Vac will work in our interest , so ...... cunning plan to try it

ook the zalmans , ,they're small

use 2 pcs of 12cm fans , scavenged from newer PS PSUs , or bought surplus

with two ditto on heatsink , maybe you can manage even with 5 or 7V on them

and , oh yeah - great destiny for AR chassis

:worship:

Fans

Ok, I dug thru the pile, more fans. The plan was to remove the black fin segments of the heat sink(8 segments are screw to the back plate) and install a Zelman speed controlled fan heat sink to the back of each mosfet, heat transfered thru the back plate to the bottom pad of the Zelman. Each Zelman was rated at 95 watts max, fan running. There is speed controls for the fans allowing some type of temp control. Is there an optimum operating temp for the mosfets?

Is there a way to cover/shield the input transformer? Could those transformers be bypassed if the preamp has 25-30 db gain(audible Illusions)?

Attachments

• m_DSCF0002.jpg
    m_DSCF0002.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 575
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
first of all - I believe you're familiar wit saying - there is no replacement for displacement ... in other words , dozen of sissy fans are hardly going to replace two proper biguns

or - they will , but your ears gonna bleed , not mine

second - Audible Illusions's 25-30 db of gain are utter drek , comparing to Cinemag's 12db

you'll get better sound with 10K pot in front of SissySIT , than with that .....

they should better call them Audible Delusions .........

:devilr:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
better to try with actual channel pcbs in , then moving things apriori

we can't predict how big/strong magnetic field you'll have with that thing on full throttle

regarding Audible preamp ..... I sorta got carried away , hope you didn't took it personally :)

though , still thinking the same ........ simply because tube line stage with ECC88 can sound way better than that , besides being much better adjusted to nowadays sources and power amps , regarding gain etc.

ZM & friends, would it be possible to drive the autoformer directly from something like a DCG3, bypassing the jfet buffer?

I was watching Nelson Pass BAF talks, and he seems to imply this might be the case, as long as the pre has the current capability to drive the autoformer circuit.

I'm interested in trying it out at some point, since i'll most likely use the DCG3 as a preamp(and to drive HPs). I think i'd have to switch the jfet buffer out of the circuit, probably at the transformer, right?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yes, omit input buffer , if you have enough Cojones in preceding stage

just take care of practically zero DC going in xformer ....... meaning - preceding stage must have minimal DC offset , stable in time

it is extremely convenient , in fact , on Babelfish M25/SissySIT pcb - there is a 2pin jumper header , intended for exact purpose of measuring/setting input JFet buffer offset , having them (buffer and xformer) connected after setting said offset

so , remove jumper , connect your signal route on second jumper pin , ditto to xformer

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
regarding Audible preamp ..... I sorta got carried away , hope you didn't took it personally :)

Interesting that AI came up. I have a 2D. To demonstrate how much of a bottom feeder and audiofool I am, it is a piece of equipment I would strive to best. A “reference” as the wordy golden ear experts would put it. In combination with an old used Counterpoint SA12 and KEF 104/2 speakers it has been one of the best all around sounds for me. Yes, it did not do things my DCB1 with gainclone or ACAs can do with full range front horns...but it was nice.