Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Volume control
Volume control
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2018, 11:48 PM   #1
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Volume control

When making a DIY preamp there should be some kind of volume control. There are many possibilities like a normal Alps, Stepped attenuators (Serial, Shunt), Reed relay based and probably many others.

It seems Pass Labs use some kind of advanced electronic controlled volume control?

Is that still the case?

Is it something that can be adapted to e.g. a BA-3 preamp?
Maybe a simple version of it (I don't need remote control)?
Is there some detailed information of how it is made?

Is the choice of volume control "over hyped" in highend pre-amps?

https://www.passlabs.com/sites/defau...es/x2.5_om.pdf

"The electronic volume control allows greater than 60 dB range and is driven by a micro-controller that reads the optical encoder serving as a front panel volume control. In this manner tracking of the volume of the two balanced channels is possible with accuracy unavailable on any ordinary volume control, assuring precise level steps and high common mode rejection in balanced circuits. Wayne Colburnís exceptional volume control in conjunction with the fluorescent display give the user ability to replicate volume levels with absolute accuracy in steps of roughly 3dB."
Old 29th July 2018, 12:15 AM   #2
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Volume control
search for Muse attenuator ...... plenty of guys here made it , with few tips and tricks

main trick is to go without integrated OPamps , excluding them from signal route
Old 29th July 2018, 12:43 AM   #3
mpmarino is offline mpmarino  United States
diyAudio Member

and the Maxim - so cheap you can blow up one per day before you get it right.

That's the one I'm going for

MUSES 72320 electronic volume
Old 29th July 2018, 08:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ok.....are these used with primary goal to have the volume remote controlled or has it also qualities you can't get with a traditional stepped attenuator based on Elma switches?
Old 29th July 2018, 01:06 PM   #5
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Volume control
being miniature and integrated , it is better than that , at least with moderate signal levels
Old 29th July 2018, 03:16 PM   #6
mpmarino is offline mpmarino  United States
diyAudio Member

Picture more like a relay step attenuator, except everything is on a chip. It has advantages (size, cost, no mechanicals, zero cross detection for QUIET SWITCHING) and disadvantages (no control over the resistors quality/properities). Also - probably not suitable for after the preamp (like A-P or Bosoz) but for before as is more customary.

You need some sort of micro-controller with the relay or the chip, regardless of how the human interface is, but once you are that far - you can do anything you want. It's a learning curve, and I'm at the start of it

Personally - the ONLY remote control that I require is volume.

Last edited by mpmarino; 29th July 2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 29th July 2018, 04:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Ok......I can live without remote on volume…...but it is nice to have. But if I can get better quality using an Elma based stepped attenuator I will go for that. It seems if you make a high-end product as a manufacturer a remote volumen control is mandatory as people who buy a preamp that cost +20k USD expects a remote controlled volumen. If it is also cheaper to implement…...it is a "win-win".

Volume controlHide this!Advertise here!