Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Babelfish M25, AKA M2 on steroids, AKA M2-XA25 bstrd AKA M2 gone Berserk
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2018, 01:57 AM   #141
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

even if you're going "just" to sleep better , go for it
Old 20th January 2019, 06:49 PM   #142
Russellc is online now Russellc  United States
diyAudio Member

Just wondering....Am I only one building this version? Finishing other projects first but I see many going for SissySit version, not much activity with M25.

I have every intention to build both, but given MOST, (not all) my speakers are fairly easy to drive, I am thinking about starting with Sissy sit version as first build. (As in before M25, way to late for "first" build)

Any other M25 builders out there?

Russellc
Old 20th January 2019, 07:55 PM   #143
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

several B. M25 kits sent , but will they end as SissySIT ....... I can't tell ...... I mean - guess

I know that soon I'll have both fully made , as proper and complete amps , of my own!

contrary to earlier ones ....... I never finished my own specimens of Babelfish J , nor Babelfish J2

Old 20th January 2019, 09:21 PM   #144
cjfrbw is offline cjfrbw  United States
diyAudio Member

I have been listening to commercial First Watt M2. Because it has been such a shape shifter for me, I have been playing around with the strictly subjective aspects. At times, it is brilliant in wholistic, organic way but needs to be left on for a while to get this for some reason.

Anyway, with ribbon speakers, M2 works well down to 2.5R. However, it sounds better with 4R ribbon, but really locks in in sound quality at 8-10R using an impedance matching transformer. So at least with my speakers, it just sounds most optimal at the 8 and above impedance level, though it is quite good also at the lower impedances.

Want M2 to sound 'spooky' like VFET, with that special luminescence and gilded emergence from space, while still having the PRAT organic thing of M2? Use a directly heated triode driver/preamp.

I don't know why this would be, but it is special sounding. VFET doesn't need this and can sound 'spooky' on it's own or with a transistor preamp.

Maybe adding the second order harmonics from the tube to the more dynamic sounding, driving third order harmonic from the MOSFETs in M2 does something, but this, or course, is daft speculation with no objective foundation. The particular DHT tube is a tube rectified 26 tube. I would imagine many DHT tube drivers might give a similar result.

This is why I want to attempt my first DIY with the Korg B1 project (aside from it looking like an entry level project even I can tackle). I am curious how the Korg NUTUBE driver will effect the M2 sound compared to my VFET amps/or directly heated triode drivers with M2.

Last edited by cjfrbw; 20th January 2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 20th January 2019, 11:05 PM   #145
dBel84 is offline dBel84  United States
diyAudio Member

My original intent had been to build the M25 as the Tokin SITs seemed few and far between, but then PRAS appeared and it seemed a no brainer to be able to reproduce something close to the reported magic of the FW SIT3..dB
Old 23rd January 2019, 04:39 AM   #146
Russellc is online now Russellc  United States
diyAudio Member

Just ordered my Sits from Pras...

Russellc
Old 23rd January 2019, 05:03 AM   #147
dBel84 is offline dBel84  United States
diyAudio Member

oops - wrong thread ..dB

Last edited by dBel84; 23rd January 2019 at 05:05 AM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 23rd January 2019, 07:57 AM   #148
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

all ZM's threads are right ones ...... Off Topic simply impossible

Old 23rd January 2019, 02:56 PM   #149
Juntuin is offline Juntuin  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellc View Post
Any other M25 builders out there?

Russellc
I'm going also for M25 as soon as I get kit from ZM. I have built M2x so wanna try CineMag this time.
Old 23rd January 2019, 03:51 PM   #150
kbergsson is offline kbergsson  Iceland
diyAudio Member

I have M2 as well and am going for the S.SIT but with CineMags like you. Currently waiting for CineMag to produce a batch of the high nickel versions.

Babelfish M25, AKA M2 on steroids, AKA M2-XA25 bstrd AKA M2 gone BerserkHide this!Advertise here!