Babelfish M25, AKA M2 on steroids, AKA M2-XA25 bstrd AKA M2 gone Berserk

Joined 2003
Paid Member
In preparation, I would suggest the berserk M2.

Already have the kit.....but I think I will do Sissysit first, bought required SITS from Pras....before its over with I will build both. I have entirely too many projects going! 2 preamps, two power amps covering work table now!!! Plus "part boxes" for numerous others. Wayne's 2018 pre, DCG3 pre and Sissysit first....F7 clone needing chassis/sinks and ditto J2 clone, boxes of several others still collecting, BBA3 mono blocks, F4, Vfet etc. Yes, I am a Pass horder.

Russellc

Think I like unconstipated M2 best.
Advise to price. Is Deluxe 4 Chassis sufficient or 5 needed for unconstipated version?

Russellc

For those cheapskates like me who thought about shoehorning one of these into a Deluxe 4 from the store (and worrying about cooling by fans later) I think it is the case that the board as configured, with the outputs in the designated spots, doesn't actually fit in the chassis using the UMS predrilled holes. I could be wrong, but I've fiddled with it for a bit, and it appears that the M25 in the Deluxe 4 (300mm) chassis would require flying leads on the board to one of the (repositioned) output fets, if avoiding drilling and tapping are your priorities.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
For those cheapskates like me who thought about shoehorning one of these into a Deluxe 4 from the store (and worrying about cooling by fans later) I think it is the case that the board as configured, with the outputs in the designated spots, doesn't actually fit in the chassis using the UMS predrilled holes. I could be wrong, but I've fiddled with it for a bit, and it appears that the M25 in the Deluxe 4 (300mm) chassis would require flying leads on the board to one of the (repositioned) output fets, if avoiding drilling and tapping are your priorities.

The 400 mm deep (non deluxe) chassis is same depth as Deluxe 5. A while back, they provided a member with one pre drilled, but he had to find 4 be others as it required 5 to be ordered. Don't know if it is a "thing" now or not, and if not if they would do another 5. Anyway, just drilling and tapping only the heat sinks isn't that big of a deal.

Russellc

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well , it's always possible that I made a mistake :rofl: , but it looked as mosfets are well positioned on half height row

Attachments

• UMS.jpg
    UMS.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 753
  • universal-mounting-specification-v2.1.pdf
    566.7 KB · Views: 100
For paralleling devices, would the entire output stage need to be paralleled, so that each N-P pair has its own optocoupler? Without degeneration, it would seem that the only way to effectively share current between parallel devices - which cannot be matched perfectly - is to control the bias points of each N-P pair individually.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't plan on it, it was just a matter of curiosity - I noted that there was at least one prototype in the F4 Beast thread that used parallel IRFP devices without degeneration to avoid having to use the hockey pucks, and this seemed like one way to add some reliability. The little hall sensors and optocouplers would add up $$ though in a paralleled design.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I wouldn't parallel them in any way without source resistors

having biasing network for each parallel pair could be just another recipe for disaster, at least as it looks for me

disclaimer - someone smarter maybe is having a way for that, but I'm chicken

pucks are way to go, for another Berserking level