LX-mini Crossover Article

Thank you very much for your advice. I have purchased lxmini in store and waiting to receive it.

I'm not sure how the 4343A input terminal and switching works. If switching to the biamp mode gives direct access to the 10" mid range voice coil as well as to the 15" woofer voice coil, then 12dB/oct symmetrical would probably be appropriate. Linkwitz-Riley alignment is usually recommended because it gives flat power response through the pass band. The reason I ask about direct connection to the 10" voice coil is that my ADS L980 speakers, when switched to biamp mode, give direct access to the 12" woofer but still keep the passive HP filter connection to the 2" mid range - probably to avoid potential driver damage. So I run 12dB/oct active to the mid/highs which adds to the 12dB/oct passive to give 24dB/oct. Then I run 24dB/oct active to the woofer to match the response.

Last edited:
when swithching to biamp mode in 4343, LF direct access to the 15" woofer and HF goes directly to a passive crossover which leads to MF 10", HF horn and UHF. Base on it's original design, the active crossover is 12db/oct and cut at 290 hz for LF, they use only one cut for LF, I don't see they talk about cut for HF, so that is my concern. At this moment, I use an active crossover dbx 223xs which provide one cut at 290 hz with 24db/oct for LF, and the result is good. I hope lxmini could improve the result due to dbx 223xs is just a commercial product and they have to reduce the quality to match the competition pricing. By the way, could you explain how to run the woofer in 24db/oct? by changing the pole or anythingelse?

I'm not sure how the 4343A input terminal and switching works. If switching to the biamp mode gives direct access to the 10" mid range voice coil as well as to the 15" woofer voice coil, then 12dB/oct symmetrical would probably be appropriate. Linkwitz-Riley alignment is usually recommended because it gives flat power response through the pass band. The reason I ask about direct connection to the 10" voice coil is that my ADS L980 speakers, when switched to biamp mode, give direct access to the 12" woofer but still keep the passive HP filter connection to the 2" mid range - probably to avoid potential driver damage. So I run 12dB/oct active to the mid/highs which adds to the 12dB/oct passive to give 24dB/oct. Then I run 24dB/oct active to the woofer to match the response.

when swithching to biamp mode in 4343, LF direct access to the 15" woofer and HF goes directly to a passive crossover which leads to MF 10", HF horn and UHF. Base on it's original design, the active crossover is 12db/oct and cut at 290 hz for LF, they use only one cut for LF, I don't see they talk about cut for HF, so that is my concern. At this moment, I use an active crossover dbx 223xs which provide one cut at 290 hz with 24db/oct for LF, and the result is good. I hope lxmini could improve the result due to dbx 223xs is just a commercial product and they have to reduce the quality to match the competition pricing. By the way, could you explain how to run the woofer in 24db/oct? by changing the pole or anythingelse?

It sounds like you need the same config as my ADS: 24dB/oct LP and 12dB/oct HP. If you can confirm that there is a cap feeding the 10" with a coil in parallel with the 10" voice coil, that would make the existing passive HP to the 10" 12dB/oct. Since I had already worked this out for my ADS at 500Hz, I have attached the schematic for your 300Hz requirement. If you want to download LTspice (it's free) I have included the simulation file as well.
Good luck!

Attachments

• 4343A 300Hz.pdf
    66.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 4343A XOVER.asc
    3 KB · Views: 68
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have a nice board that does this, 6-24 dB/oct. We are considering
putting a version of it in the store.

Attachments