LX-mini Crossover Article

Hello 6L6,

I had catched the below statelent from Nelson in Pass Labs B4 crossover questions
I had occasion to listen to the 2x4HD at SL's (he's at the other end of Walk
On Beach) not long ago, and I found it very much better than the original
piece such that it is now competitive with analog.

Not so much if you have to convert your analog signal to digital for vinyl...

I imagine that differences and preferences can be quite subjective, but I you were willing to share your feeling, this would be interesting.

Unfortunatly Burning Amp is quite far from France and difficult to attend... I know that there will be listening tests there that I would really have enjoyed for first hand experience.

JMF

Just thinking about building this and come up with a question....

Does this have a hi pass on the low frequency section? My plan was to replace the passive xover that's on my mid/hf horn's, I use a DSP bass amp for the bass section. So I have DSP and amp for bass then another amp and passive xover for the mid/hf section.
Was looking to keep the DSP bass amp and use this active xover for the horns but then realised it probably doesn't have a hi pass at its lower end, is this correct?

Thanks

2 questions

Reading the article Nelson mentions that FL considered or used as parameter in this design -correct me if I’erong in this - that the minimum power rating for the amplifiers to be used in conjunction with this xover were 80 and 100. Is this really so? Us owners of FW Amos would then be disqualified...

And the volume controls. Why are there 4 controls? And if one uses, let’s say Alps attenuators in the faceplate, how would these be implemented. I would only use one for the low pass section... would it be just one? Thanks.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The amplifier power recommendation was to achieve full output. If you don’t listen at ear-damaging levels, less will work perfectly.

You’ll only need to adjust the levels once to set your amps, so having panel mount pots is somewhat superfolous. Normal settings is full open if your amps have equal gain. However, if you want to use fancy pots, don’t stuff the PCB mount pots and use the CE W CCW pads for wires.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Does this have a hi pass on the low frequency section? My plan was to replace the passive xover that's on my mid/hf horn's, I use a DSP bass amp for the bass section. So I have DSP and amp for bass then another amp and passive xover for the mid/hf section.
Was looking to keep the DSP bass amp and use this active xover for the horns but then realised it probably doesn't have a hi pass at its lower end, is this correct?

It does have a high pass on the bottom end. It is adjusted for high Q
to provide a 5 dB bump up at 50 Hz, but it's a simple 2 pole topology
and you can stuff it as you like.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Reading the article Nelson mentions that FL considered or used as parameter in this design -correct me if I’erong in this - that the minimum power rating for the amplifiers to be used in conjunction with this xover were 80 and 100. Is this really so? Us owners of FW Amos would then be disqualified...

And the volume controls. Why are there 4 controls? And if one uses, let’s say Alps attenuators in the faceplate, how would these be implemented. I would only use one for the low pass section... would it be just one? Thanks.

Siegfried and I sat down one day with LX minis. a digital scope and a
copy of Telarc's 1812 overture with the cannon shots. We played it at
what SL determined to be an adequately loud level and measured the
peak wattage from each amp, top and bottom.

The result was performance where a 75+ watt amp would do it on
the bottom and a 25 watt amp on the top.

Thanks! And, what about the 5db hump at 50 hz, can that be moved to a lower frequency,, like 20 Hz?
I would be using this as a HP filter for my Spatial M4's , set at either 80 or 120 Hz and a corresponding LP filter to my "Ripole" subwoofers, would it work well for this?
I presently us a minidsp 4hd -which really is pretty good though one can instantly experiment will all kind of parameters to see which work, and sounds pretty good also.

User's manual?

So, would a user's manual be offered with information as to how implement the different filter options, etc.? And would the kit have various resistors and or cap values so one can experiment with let's say, 80 hz vs. 120 hz. Xover frequencies or I would need to buy these? Thanks!

Joined 2002
Paid Member
pot adjustment

I have a dumb question about setting up the volume/pots of the
crossover. Assuming one amp has higher gain than the other,
the pot for the lower gain amp should be set wide open.
For the other amp, can we simply set the corresponding pot so
that both amps give the same voltage output with an input at
approx 580Hz? (I'm going by the crossover response
graph on p13 of

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_lxmini crossover.pdf

where the red and blue lines intersect.)

Thanks,
Dennis

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So, would a user's manual be offered with information as to how implement the different filter options, etc.? And would the kit have various resistors and or cap values so one can experiment with let's say, 80 hz vs. 120 hz. Xover frequencies or I would need to buy these? Thanks!

My intent was to put up a simulation template in MicroCap so that people
could play with values and see the results.

Hello,

How are the jfets involved matched? I have experience measuring the drain source current when Vgs=0 or the gate connected to source; is it the case? Or it needs the gate resistor added for a more precise Ids?

I am investigating a way to use a stock of old jfets (i accumulated over the time) from the audio era; and use them in this superb active crossover.