LX-mini Crossover Article

wow Papa I was not aware of you considering LX521 as well. btw I would not mind your impression of the 521 vs Mini (really close, only more bass? or ..). I have Minis and I am also about to tackle LX521 (the baffles and my sealed bass units are near done), but my goal is actually a bi-amped setup with an added passive, upper mid-to-tweet Xover, else too many high power amps.

Well I hope you still balance your Xover and your amp work as I am also hoping next winter for the "ACA with a transformer" amp (whatever the management decides to call that variant :)). I believe you already had a running prototype of that? Thx.

Hi all,

Recently, I decide to update my system. All starts with new open baffle speaker project (which I'm about to finish) - Lowther DX4 and 2 x Alpha 15's per channel. New speakers leads me to idea use active XO (B5 is an ideal one). Right now, all parts to build second amp (FW F6) are ordered and on the way.

The system I will have is following:
1) CD with NOS DAC
2) Passive TVC pre
3) Active XO (???)
4) SE 300B amps for Lowthers - 8W@16Ohm
5) Pass F6 50W@4Ohm for 2 Alphas connected in parallel

to make long story short: is the LX-mini the right one for OB speakers? Or should I wait for another kit like B5?

Thanks, Giorgi

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
No, this crossover only supports 6 or 12 dB/oct slopes, but it does have
EQ for the bottom and top. It works very well for OB systems and also
the LXmini.

There is also a need for more general biamp and triamp crossovers, so we
will be addressing those one at a time.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
The Analog Crossover Network AKA LXmini Crossover is now available: Analog Crossover Network – diyAudio Store.

We have split the crossover offering up into several pieces in order to make this accessible to the widest possible audience. If you notice any glaring omissions or problems with the ordering process, please let us know at contact@diyaudistore.com.

I have gone back through this thread cleaned out the "is it here yet?" posts, of which there were many (and I'll take the blame for that).

Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here you go.

On the left you see the target curve.

On the right you see a Microcap sim that delivers the curve for the
high and mid frequencies.

Ignore the part numbers, I don't think they match the boards.

To duplicate the sub curve, you will need a 24 dB/oct filter.

:wiz:

Attachments

• lxmini+2 resp.jpg
    lxmini+2 resp.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,379
  • LXMINI TEMP.jpg
    LXMINI TEMP.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,417
Reactions: 1 user
How does one get a different board to use the better components listed below ?

Also, does anyone have a source for either the Toshiba or Linear Systems components ?

Thanks,
:) neil

----------------
There is a PC board version which uses the Toshiba 2SK370, 2SK170, or Linear
Systems LSK170 parts in single-ended buffers (different pin-outs on the
devices) as well as a version for the complementary Toshiba 2SK170 / 2SJ74
and Linear Systems LSK170 / LSJ74 Jfets. If you have these parts or don't
mind spending the money obtaining them, the performance can be improved –
they have lower distortion and lower output impedance and less noise, however
these improvements may not be very noticeable.

Last edited:
Mr. Pass, is the Toshiba/Linear Systems board still in the pipeline? If not, I'll order the 'regular' version (when the B5 configuration becomes available) and probably be just as happy as it's bound to be a huge improvement anyway over my current simple active filter.

HexFET, I believe the Linear Systems JFETS are offered by the diyAudio Store.