LX-mini Crossover Article

Is the output on the ASP a lot lower than an equivalent DSP?

I've built my ASP from the kit, and am enjoying the quality of the sound very much. But it seems like the output levels are quite low... or at least lower than my previous MiniDSP-HD based setup in the same system.

Does anyone know a good way to measure this more objectively? I hooked the device up to a computer and a DAC and its outputs back into the computer, and ran some full scale white noise... and I used REW to try and measure it, but the levels seemed to be very low (like -50dB). I'm no expert with REW, though, and probably don't know what I'm doing.

So there's my first question: Can one reliably measure the output behaviors and level with REW? I'd love to get a curve to make sure that the components I got are working as hoped.

The components I received in my kit didn't match those that Nelson wrote about in his doc... which is kinda why I'm even asking. My measured values on the circuitboard didn't match his ranges either, though they may not have been "wildly off" (I don't know what "wild" is here; for example is 1.5V "wildly" over 1.0V? My assumption is that things are "right" on the board, but I'd like to confirm it.)

In the original doc there are two graphs of the ASP measured:

measured.png

compare.png

The first one indicates that the levels approach about zero at least near the bass bump. The second seems to indicate it's down about 20dB (maybe that's just from overlaying the graphs?).

So I'm not sure what to expect here.

But in-use, I'm having to REALLY crank the volume up on my system, and using any EQ on that side seems to introduce some distortion :-( This makes me think that the levels coming INTO the ASP are quite hot, but they're coming out pretty low. And yep, I know about the -12dB on the full-range side; but that was the same with the DSP.

Any thoughts? Thank you for reading this long post.

The LX-mini analog crossover does not provide any gain, so the output can only be lower than its input. If your DSP was set-up with gain, then its output would be greater than that of the analog crossover.
I certainly didn't do that; standard full scale and -12dB as per Linkwitz. Thanks though.

For the ASP, just make sure the input tweakers are at maximum. That's all the level you can get.
They are. Thanks

I'm not looking for a level boost; I'm trying to calibrate my expectations about how the ASP should work.

If someone were to say either "nope, that's not right; it should be about the same" ... or ... "yep, that's about right, the ASP is NNdB quieter than a comparable DSP solution". :)

In any case, thanks for the quick help.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
My ASP has the same level in my system, as when it's not in my system, this is when the input pots on the ASP are fully CW. No change. I've never had nor used DSP, so I can't comment on my systems level with DSP.

Then again, my ASP filters were built for SLOB speakers.

Your curves look similar up to 9K, then the DSP has greater level variations. Since the ASP has unity gain buffers, the level should be your systems level.

Reactions: 1 user
Account Closed
Joined 2001
I certainly didn't do that; standard full scale and -12dB as per Linkwitz. Thanks though.

They are. Thanks

I'm not looking for a level boost; I'm trying to calibrate my expectations about how the ASP should work.

If someone were to say either "nope, that's not right; it should be about the same" ... or ... "yep, that's about right, the ASP is NNdB quieter than a comparable DSP solution". :)

In any case, thanks for the quick help.
Well, you mentioned components and voltages maybe not being correct for your ASP. So, you could have an improperly operating ASP, I suppose.
Also, depending upon what DSP unit you had previously, it might have been yielding +6db due to balanced interface output configuration. In that case you would have lost 6db. That's easily audible.

Those are just my guesses at the moment. :)

Dave.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone; my DSP was MiniDSP-HD, as I wrote.

Does anyone know a good way to measure a device like this, to yield a curve light Nelson put in the published document? Obviously, I don't have one of the pro "AP" analyzers.

depending upon what DSP unit you had previously, it might have been yielding +6db due to balanced interface output configuration. In that case you would have lost 6db. That's easily audible

For my general education, are balanced connections typically +6dB compared to a similarly set up single-ended?

Thanks

Account Closed
Joined 2001
@mfeif I don't know which miniDSP-HD unit that is. That's why I mentioned it. miniDSP has/had multiple ones that have different output voltages.
You can perform a test on your ASP using any decent USB sound-card and a program like ARTA.
Yep, balanced connections generally will have 2x or (+6db) voltage relative to unbalanced.

Dave.

Reactions: 1 user