Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

LX-mini Crossover Article
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2019, 10:37 PM   #601
Alain93 is offline Alain93  United States
diyAudio Member

thank you. I have to do some thinking now
Old 29th September 2019, 10:58 PM   #602
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

I think it's do-able but looks to be very lossy without some active EQ on
the bottom end.
Old 30th September 2019, 01:51 AM   #603
Alain93 is offline Alain93  United States
diyAudio Member

thank you, I'll give it a try with XSim free crossover designer
Old 2nd October 2019, 06:52 AM   #604
ogawas is offline ogawas  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you, Papa, for this stunning analog crossover and the late SL for the LX Mini! (never too late to always say thank you!)

I finally got around to getting this system fired up tonight (3 years in the making for the LX Mini and 6ish months for the analog crossover)

Don't judge me! Using old school gear: Sota Saphire table, ET2 arm, Shelter 901 cartridge, Sony ES779 CD player --> Wavestream Kinetics phono tube preamp --> Wavestream Kinetics tube preamp --> ACN --> MFA 200B tube amps feeding wide range speaker and Audio Research D100B feeding woofer. Life long Magneplanar fan and various electrostatic speaker fan.

JUST WOW!

* Started listening to Drums and Bells CD by Tonian Labs to get acquainted with this new crossover / speaker setup. My older high school son plays in the advanced orchestra (marimba, xylophone, bells, other percussion "objects" and the piano). He was stunned...not quite like being in the practice percussion room at school but the wood, metal, triangle, bell kits, were flat out amazing to him. Hearing the wood and metal sound decay was beyond believe. What becomes immediately obvious with this CD is your eyes mentally tracking/skating every instrument....there is no such thing as LX speakers when you play this CD...the disappearing act is NO act. If you were blind folded and did not see these speakers, initially, and you hear the tympani struck, you would swear there are much larger speakers than what the LX Mini is producing.

I have a profound appreciation what Papa mentioned early in this thread when he was discussing with SL the canon shot in the 1812 Overture and SL was fine with this. No, you will not feel the canon shot sound reverb into your chest, but I could clearly feel the tympani through my carpeted floor rising through my socks and legs. Your in constant disbelief that this system can produce the lower 100 cycles that this system delivers, accurately.

* Next up Lincoln Mayorgoya's orchestra playing "America" from West Side Story. Once again your eyes are mentally skating every instrument with pin point location. The layers of instrument voices continues building a very nice 3D presentation....my planars and bipolar electrostats could never throw a 3D soundstage AND play tympani strikes accurately/concurrently....just wow. My younger son plays alto sax and sits not to far from the trumpet players in the intermediate orchestra band....he was equally amazed at the up front and to the right trumpets with increasing dynamic Forte Forte....we had to turn the volume down on this! This was like sitting first audience row with the trumpets out front and hitting you!

* Finally, I played Hiromi Uehara's "Tom and Jerry"... the explosive speed and attack in her playing style yet hearing every note played at speed...for me as a "hack" piano classical and jazz amateur....was stunning. This only made me appreciate how gifted she already is...but to hear this played on this system....amazing tones, crescendos, and legatos...even the delicate piano piano notes edifying "Jerry" scurrying about became realistic and made me laugh out loud visually imagining Jerry running around!

I have to go through my entire music collection with these speakers and crossover!

I just cannot say enough about these speakers and crossover given the entire family (wife plays violin) plays instruments and to mentally eye and hear skate instruments with such authenticity.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Last edited by ogawas; 2nd October 2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old 2nd October 2019, 04:57 PM   #605
The one and only

Siegfried made me do it.

Old 10th October 2019, 09:25 AM   #606
miep is offline miep  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Purpose of the Vref?

What is the purpose of Vref? i didn't recognized any explanation. i think it's an rcr-pi-filter to lower the noise(?) . but how to integrate it in the calculation of the filter?

i want to use the topology for a 3way active crossover (2000hz 2nd order/150hz 3n order)...
Old 10th October 2019, 05:08 PM   #607
The one and only

The power supply is single-ended at 24V. Vref is a voltage at +12 which defines
the DC operating point of the cap coupled circuits.
Old 10th October 2019, 05:53 PM   #608
diyAudio Member

whoa the master himself thanks for the answer. so i can calculate the filter in the normal way?
Old 10th October 2019, 08:01 PM   #609
The one and only

No magic. 2 pi * freq / RC gives the filter corner, and overkill is usually welcome.

That for the power supply filters.

Totally independent of the audio filters...
Old 10th October 2019, 09:32 PM   #610
diyAudio Member

Thank you again. I'll Share the schematic when it's done

LX-mini Crossover ArticleHide this!Advertise here!