LX-mini Crossover Article

Between 900 and 1000Hz, 24db/oct. -> ended at 1000Hz
It is the big heil, and it is Gen.2 which goes lower than the earlier versions.

I have also used it with 12dB filters at 1250 and 1500Hz. But got better results combining a 12dB Bessel filter for the Faital's @ 1500Hz, with 24dB LR for the Heil. That was with IIR filters. Also had good results with 24/24 with FIR filters with some phase-correction using the miniDSP 2x4HD

Actually I think it's just the added mass.
That's a third factor ;-) depending on the peak frequencies I imagine this could very well be dominant, I am also 100% sure you have much more experience with units featuring whizzers than I have :)(y)
- did you try adding mass back to the unit(s), to regain some of the smoothness without the whizzer extension? A bead of modelling clay might be all it takes for an easy non destructive proof of concept.

Between 900 and 1000Hz, 24db/oct. -> ended at 1000Hz
It is the big heil, and it is Gen.2 which goes lower than the earlier versions.

I have also used it with 12dB filters at 1250 and 1500Hz. But got better results combining a 12dB Bessel filter for the Faital's @ 1500Hz, with 24dB LR for the Heil. That was with IIR filters. Also had good results with 24/24 with FIR filters with some phase-correction using the miniDSP 2x4HD

Did spend quite a bit of time this week playing with DSP for XO point. Seem to get sweet spot coherent and balanced presentation crossing the smaller Heil and F-12 just about 2K Hz with a very good image( below that frequency sound stage is recessed and above 3-5 K Hz is way too muddied. For the low pass to W-15 still find the 300 Hz 12 dB sounds way more smooth than the steeper 24dB.

Another option is xkitz 3-way balanced crossovers, anyone tried them? they have BB OP Amps. They are kind of cute and compact, not sure how good they would sound/distord but would be a lot less work for a balanced implementation than the DIY stuffed boards:

https://www.xkitz.com/collections/a...-way-active-crossover-fully-balanced-xover-3b

Hi sebtdi,
Looking at you setup and the units used (looks familiar to me ;-) ) - there are also some other opportunities
You could instead change it to a 2½ way, using the LX-mini xover only for the split between the FR and the Heil - and cross much lower, as you mention.
I have an OB setup with similar units, 15" FR and and the AE 15 Dipole - very similar concept to your unit which is also a dedicated OB underhung woofer.

The whizzer and the Heils have quite different characteristics, and also the beaming is a challenge - you really want to make the x-over cut where the units are the closest to match up in dispersion.

That could be using the LXMini xover for that and just add a simple I-core coil in series with the woofer, don't go for too low a resistance coil - as the series resistance will increase the Q and and help further in the low end response.
If the gain matches between the WF and FR they could share the same amplifier. Which if I remember right they don't - the 12" being much more sensitive
Especially if you match the LF cut-off freq for the WF to fill-in where the 12" FR naturally drops off anyway it might not even need the extra low-pass cut-off or just a simple RC filter on the D-amp input might do the job.

But - yes another 6-24 xover would also do the job - daisychaining one channel for a bandpass.

There is also the LX-Studio - balanced x-over, I build one up this summer, but I am yet to power it up :LOL: been to busy with LX521.4, miniDSP's and now FusionAmp's with their DSP filters.
The Studio filter would also be modifiable to work in this context - but it is a much bigger project than a handfull of LX-mini/6-24 xovers ...hahahha.... when you are done matching and mounting all the JFET's and capacitors you will think about "The Beast with a 1000 Jfet's"

With the ESS AMT you might consider getting rid of, or dampen the whizzer to not smear the upper frequencies. I also measured quite some lobing on the Lii F15 top-end.

Interesting project, I expect that it's throwing a huge scene and is having great dynamic reponse (y)
I ordered a 20uf cap and matching 1st order coil to try crossing mids/tweeter about 2K
g
will see how it sounds
I will keep simple ...6db min mid-tw

I ordered a simple 20 uf and matching 1st order coil to try crossing at 2k Hz. will see how it sounds compared to DSP. If it does well then no need for another daisy chain active crossover

Hello,

I am total newbie on LXmini and I just got LXMini+2 (with 2 passive subwoofers) and would like to replace digital DSP with Active Analog crossover (ACN).

I see LXMini crossover on diyAudio Store but could not find LXMini+2 ACN.

Can I purchase ACN for LXmini+2 here or do I need to purchase from Linkwitz store?
https://linkwitz.store/product/asp-lxmini2-nelson-pass/
The price of LXMini+2 ACN (Euro 379 without chassis) seems very high compared with LXMini ($148 without chassis).

Is there particular reason that +2 ACN is more than two times the price of LXMini?

Thank you very much...

Yes, at the Linkwitz store only
Yes there is a very good reason why it is more expensive it's more like LXMini x2 x2 since it is balanced and supports both +2 and the Studio version. Approximately 100 matched jfets needed for the complete board.
If balanced is not a must you could consider a simpler setup with another set of modified LX mini xovers. I went for the Studio board so have not done any calculations on that.
Congratulations on the +2's :cool:

Yes, at the Linkwitz store only
Yes there is a very good reason why it is more expensive it's more like LXMini x2 x2 since it is balanced and supports both +2 and the Studio version. Approximately 100 matched jfets needed for the complete board.
If balanced is not a must you could consider a simpler setup with another set of modified LX mini xovers. I went for the Studio board so have not done any calculations on that.
Congratulations on the +2's :cool:

Thank you very much. Now understood why there is a big price difference. I actually do not use XLR but unbalanced only. If it is the case, still LXmini+2 ASP better choice?

And, is there a build guide for LXMini+2 published anywhere? I found that Diyaudio has very comprehensive build guide for LXMini ASP which is awesome. https://guides.diyaudio.com/Guide/Pass-Linkwitz+LXmini+analog+crosover/7?lang=en
Not sure if there is LXMini+2 ASP build guide....

Thank you again...

I hooked LXMini +2 and have a listen and at low volume, it sounds okay but when the volume is at moderate level, sound distorted. Checked all cable connection and it seems all okay.

Here is the sound recording just recorded using my phone.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2lzsotwesn4fmb/New Recording 18.m4a?dl=0

Can anyone guess why sound distorted?

Any help or suggestion would be hugely appreciated.

I hooked LXMini +2 and have a listen and at low volume, it sounds okay but when the volume is at moderate level, sound distorted. Checked all cable connection and it seems all okay.

Here is the sound recording just recorded using my phone.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2lzsotwesn4fmb/New Recording 18.m4a?dl=0

Can anyone guess why sound distorted?

Any help or suggestion would be hugely appreciated.
We can guess.... but it will only be a guess, that is some heavy distortion though ;-)
I think you will need to check the volume and signal levels all the way through
overloading the minidsp input?

Reactions: 1 user
We can guess.... but it will only be a guess, that is some heavy distortion though ;-)
I think you will need to check the volume and signal levels all the way through
overloading the minidsp input?

Thank you... I found the issue. It was input sensitivity. I moved the jumper from 0.9v RMS to 2.0v RMS and distortion has gone now.

There is a bit of graininess on mids and highs and it is more noticeable when the volume goes from low to moderate level. I believe that there is a 4th order LR crossover to overcome this and will find out more and see if it can be improved further.

Great that you solved the issue.
The Studio ASP might be over the top if you are not going to use balanced and don't consider/expect to move from +2 to the Studio setup.
Frank (Linkwitz store) will send you a build guide if you buy the kit.

Others might have shared their calculations for using a LXmini or other ASP filter instead for the +2
Try asking/searching at the oplug forum.

Indeed Daveys 4th order filter is excellent for clarity, my experience is that there is a balance between this and the phantom scene rendering, so I kept both as an option, but it is easy to swap using the presets. When set up correctly they are very clear on voices.
Do make sure to only use either the peak or the shelf filter for the low end boost on the mini's, not both....... yet another tweak option, preference might be room and material dependent :)

Hello,
this is my first post after some years enjoying the knowledge and generosity of many users of this forum. And I am afraid that it is not to contribute anything or to solve any problem that anyone may have, just to ask a question. Shame on me. :ashamed:

Making long story short : I have a pair of old Audiovector Mi3 Super 2.5 way speakers. Recently I made a DIY BIAMP 6-24 Active Crossover between the tweeter and the upper woofer trying to replicate the original passive crossover and maintaining the passive 0.5 low pass filter for the lower woofer with great success.

BTW THANK YOU Mr. Pass for this wonderful toy. It has been a great fun to build it and the results are superb.

I would like to convert that passive low pass filter to active to complete the set to all active. I know is a 1st order 400 Hz ( it has only an inductor and a resistor in series )

My first thought was to get another DIY BIAMP 6-24 and stuff only with the required parts. But there are two setbacks: is currently out of stock and I have not enough space in the actual enclosure, so...

The question is, since I have a Lxmini analog crossover kit from a long overdue ( and may never get done ) project of making a pair of Lxmini speakers, if it is possible to get a 400 Hz 6dB/ octave low pass filter from it.

The Lxmini PCB would fit in the actual enclosure so that would be a good way to use it.

Other user (Yoshida) asked for bypass the EQ part and get only a 12 dB / octave crossover so that part is solved.

ACN_bypass_03.JPG

Thank you in advance.

Maxi

Attachments

• ACN_bypass_03.JPG
    ACN_bypass_03.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
For some time real life has grabed my attention and on top of that a couple of side tracking (ZM) amp projects (LUDEF and SITs)has distracted me, but I am now returning focus to the LX-mini Studio crossover. I have scoured the threads here and I have a pretty good handle on what is needed to approximate Siegfried's XO/EQ curves. Nelson was, as usual, kind enough (BTW: happy birthday. You should try some (more) red wine from the Bolghari region of Italy) to gift the design to the DIYstore. NP's two way analog design matches Sigfried's for the LX-mini and with some value modifications also matches the Lx-mini Studio's midrange and full range XO/EQ. A 24dB/octave lowpass LR filter approximates the Studio sub woofer XO but is missing the base boost. An fairly easy solution is to stick an op-amp in but then you need to solve the power supply complexity. I would think Nelson might look over the top of his glasses at this approach. However, this is my current approach but thought I would reach out here to get your values ideas and maybe find other ways.

That little voice that we all know was telling me that I missed something. Nelson had laid a lot of crumbs in this thread but I was spinning so many simulation iterations that my head was also spinning into op-amp land. After a brief recess to the lakes I ernestly scrutinized the crumbs and BINGO! Nelson was kind enough to pass the solution on. Thanks. The MicroCap sim gives really good curves close to Siegfried's. Then I sim'd the Studio in LTSpice with the J113s buffers and things moved from the ideal. And finally I bus boarded it with the J113s. This was back to reality as I could not duplicate the boast peak at 17ish Hz. Using STEPS I get a really nice Hi-Pass characteristic but no boost.
Next steps are to test the bus board a bit more, sort the 100 or so J113s if I have to see if there are any higher Vgs (test J113s are Vgs=1.8v)and then KICAD and board time.
For those interested stay tuned.