LX-mini Crossover Article

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
bullett:
We agree that those Pass amps are Just too cool! And as I mentioned, I also want to make a dream system of LXmini’s with quality Pass amps. I’m quite sure that a 25wpc F5 and a 40-50wpc F-5T will be more than enough for your room! Lucky You! My amps will be much weaker so if they don’t work in my large living room, then they’ll be great in the bedroom!

Linkwitz didn’t use Pass amps at his speaker demos, although Nelson and Siegfried were good friends. I always wanted to pair Linkwitz speakers with Pass amps at Burning Amp because I wanted to hear them together. I’m sure it would sound fantastic! but I don’t think it ever happened.. perhaps it did when I was busy running around “organizing”.

Bullett had fooled me with his “rookie” label! But I understand, we’re all rookies at most things... I totally agree with that. And because both drivers in the LX Mini cover part of the midrange, it would in theory be a great idea to use versions of the same amp!

Last edited:
I think SL was offering the Mini's as an "every-mans" build. Nelsons production amps are not exactly inexpensive. I would think that is why. My son lives in Berkeley and I'm actually hoping to make Burning Amp this year. Maybe a SL + Pass set-up would be a good memorial to him! You should consider that. If you do an Pass powered 521 I think I would come just to hear that! You may want to turn up the AC in the Fort the week before though with all that Class A heat-rise. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
My initial build of the LXmini loudspeaker was powered by a miniDSP using SL's programming feeding two high quality class-D amplifiers of about 100w/ch into 8 ohms. They sounded very good. Substituting NP's ACN for the miniDSP made a huge improvement.

I've since tried my F6 for the mid-high drivers and did not see enough improvement to warrant keeping it in the system. In my opinion, Class-D is more than adequate for the low end and Class-A is optional for the high end. The ACN provides the most improvement.

I have populated all components but ended using minidsp 2x4HD. however for my fullrange audionirvana classic 8 in bass reflex enjoy a nice 6dB 40-80Hz bass boost on my windows. i think that i want to implement bass boost too on my SIT.

i look at lxmini schematic on top low-output, am i correct that first part is the bass boost followed by lpf? so i would like to use attached schematic for SIT bass boost using K170 buffer then followed by amb a20 preamp with 15dB gain

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210530-175544426_1.jpg
    Screenshot_20210530-175544426_1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 386
My initial build of the LXmini loudspeaker was powered by a miniDSP using SL's programming feeding two high quality class-D amplifiers of about 100w/ch into 8 ohms. They sounded very good. Substituting NP's ACN for the miniDSP made a huge improvement.

I am finishing my Pass ACN now. I am currently using a 2x4HD. If the ACN improves this, it will be off the charts. I still look at the difference in the corrections between the MiniDSP and the ACN and wonder if loosing the additional corrections is a problem. I hope I replicate your experience.

I've since tried my F6 for the mid-high drivers and did not see enough improvement to warrant keeping it in the system. In my opinion, Class-D is more than adequate for the low end and Class-A is optional for the high end. The ACN provides the most improvement.

I am currently using my ancient B&K AVR307 to power the Minis. It is a very nice SS amp. I intend to put my F5 into play to power the full range element to see how that sounds. I also have a pair of Crown Class D amps I could use to power both transducers. I'll see what I like. My audio soul is certainly trying to convince me an F5 + F5 turbo combination would be the best. But my main system amp is a Lyngdorf, so it isn't like I'm prejudiced against Digital amplification.

Hi all, I have a ACN basic kit (board + fets): could you help me to adjust the values for a pair of Papa's SLOB?
Thanks

Here's the info on my ACN/LX Mini set up for Papa's SLOB.

I've attached two documents- (no idea why they are upside down- saved correctly.)

1. The ACN crossover schematic with updated values hand written.
2. The file of the crossover slope with updated values on the right, but it is not a complete schematic. Use the complete schematic with the hand written values.

Schematic changes from original values-

For the low pass-
R1/3 to 10K ohm
R25/26 to 22K ohm
R27/29 to 22K ohm

For the High Pass-
C4/8 to 47NF
C3/7 to 47NF
R2/4 to 22K ohm
R6/8 to 22K ohm
C15/19 removed/left open
C16/20 to 15NF
R23/24 to 4.7K ohm
R28/30 to 8.2K ohm
R32/34 to 1K ohm

Attachments

• ACN updated values.jpg
    ACN updated values.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 306
  • ACN Updated slope.jpg
    ACN Updated slope.jpg
    779.4 KB · Views: 300
Are there additional details on the Fast 8 SLOB build somewhere? I actually have a pair of Fast 8s collecting dust. Maybe this would be a good build to utilize them. One reason they are collecting dust is I've never been impressed with their high end. If this is an OB project that includes a tweeter to help the highs, I'd be very interested. The 8 sounds great except for upper highs. And no... it isn't my hearing. My wife with bat ears commented on that the moment she first sat in front of them and my daughter (who inherited her ears from mom) had exactly the same reaction.

Are there additional details on the Fast 8 SLOB build somewhere? I actually have a pair of Fast 8s collecting dust. Maybe this would be a good build to utilize them. One reason they are collecting dust is I've never been impressed with their high end. If this is an OB project that includes a tweeter to help the highs, I'd be very interested. The 8 sounds great except for upper highs. And no... it isn't my hearing. My wife with bat ears commented on that the moment she first sat in front of them and my daughter (who inherited her ears from mom) had exactly the same reaction.

Try this thread-

Papa's slot loaded open baffle version#2

Attached is a rough build plan for the frame.

No reason why you could not add a tweeter. You could connect the tweeter to the FR with a capacitor.

That's the best part about the SLOB. It's a template for customization.

Attachments

• Papa's SLOB #2.gif
    Papa's SLOB #2.gif
    78.6 KB · Views: 325

Yes, Papa's paper covers the much larger SLOB with 6 woofer drivers and lots of information on FR drivers. It's very informational, although some of the FR drivers tested are not available currently.

I built his smaller version, which is more of a "normal" sized speaker. I don't believe it is covered in his paper.