LX-mini Crossover Article

Hi Papa,

I am not running balanced.

* re-touched every solder joint; a few looked a little dodgy; everything shiny now

* subsequently regression tested all multimeter voltage tests on all the resistors per page 12 board build page. All were within reason... R31 and R32 now read 11.8 volts. Hence, all voltage test spots in tolerance.

* put the cross over back in to the system. same issue still arises.

* began looking up stream to the crossover...the tube preamp. Wavestream Kinetics line tube amp. Maybe my right channel tube going bad? Swapped the left channel 6DJ8 with the right channel 6DJ8 tube. Same right channel issue still arises.

* looked downstream the cross over...Moore Franklin MFA 200C, which has a built in meter to bias all 6550s. All tubes bias correctly for the right channel. I then took the right channel MFA 200C and fed this to the left channel speaker....and vica versa with the other amp. Same right channel issue still arises.

* I am thinking the right channel mid pot is going bad. The right channel low pot seems to have the appropriate gain from a sample of music tests....so my thinking is that the devices along the right channel mid /high frequency are dodgy. I say dodgy because I do hear mid / high frequency music coming out of the right channel full range speaker...just very diminished.

* I took a resistance reading of both full range speakers ( both measured 3.7 ohms), so the speakers appear to be ok.

Thinking I should replace the right channel pots at this point....probably the highest probability relative to the other parts.....thoughts?

Last edited:
I am thinking about building an open-baffle speaker(s) per the Pass slot example on this site. And, I will be using a Betsy driver with a Eminence Kappa-15LFA 15" Low Frequency Driver 8 Ohm for the woofer, crossing over at 100HZ. Kent English has recommended that I must use an active x-over with this speaker arrangement for best results and therefore my need to purchase the "Analog Crossover Network" on this site. However, I am confused about some things:
1) Do I purchase the ACN Basic Kit only + Chassis + Extras, or do I need the ACN Basic + LXmini Kit?
2) Does the kit come with full assembly instructions?
3) Do the instructions clearly show how to set the x-over frequency for the woofer @ 100Hz? ....and is this a simple pot adjustment by site or something else?
4) Is there a way to verify the integrity of my assembly before actually powering up and using with my amps/speakers?
5) What are the four XLR connections for, since only 1-out and 3-in? Doesn't seem like you can use them in lieu of the RCA's for preamp-to-amp hookup!
Thanks, don

Another custom crossover frequency question regarding component choices. Forgive me if this has already been answered but I've combed the thread but its a long long read and it all sort of blurs together after a while, and I couldn't find a discussion on this specifically.

I've got the simulation working with the filtering I need but obviously there are a bunch of permutations in terms of component choices. Is there a strategy for getting optimal performance when reconfiguring these? I've heard that you can introduce noise if you make the resistors too big and the trade off then becomes a matter of how much you're willing to spend on caps. Would that apply here?

Also, Nelson's article discusses a sweet spot but it wasn't apparent to me wether this sweetspot has to be dialed in again when you change the filter frequency. I don't have easy access to a distortion meter, would it make more sense/be easier to just get the Linear Systems matched pairs to ensure good sort of baseline performance for further component matching?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ratios of capacitance and resistance are the determining factors of frequencies
and slopes. If you keep the ratios of R to R and C to C over a range of
frequencies you can expect the same shapes.

At line level the noise associated with resistance values is not an issue, and the
input impedance of the Jfets is very, very high by comparison.

Matching is not actually a big issue here, but it helps a bit with DC offset and
distortion. You can get lower distortion numbers with the Toshiba or LS Jfets, but
keep in mind the $$ and the different pinouts. If I thought there would be
significant demand of people wanting to spend $150+ on 24 of those Jfets I
would issue artwork for it.

:snail:

Ratios of capacitance and resistance are the determining factors of frequencies
and slopes. If you keep the ratios of R to R and C to C over a range of
frequencies you can expect the same shapes.

At line level the noise associated with resistance values is not an issue, and the
input impedance of the Jfets is very, very high by comparison.

Matching is not actually a big issue here, but it helps a bit with DC offset and
distortion. You can get lower distortion numbers with the Toshiba or LS Jfets, but
keep in mind the $$ and the different pinouts.

Thank you, that clarified a lot. This is for my studio monitor chain so a couple of hundred bucks on components still puts my expenses wayyy short of commercial units, so I've got lofty ambitions and some room to splurge. With that and minimal distortion in mind, would you see any point in stuffing things like highend Audionote caps in there or is that another path of diminishing returns for this circuit?

If I thought there would be
significant demand of people wanting to spend $150+ on 24 of those Jfets I
would issue artwork for it.

:snail:

Well! I think I might have hit on a private stash :cool: so don't worry I wont bleed yours and I (probably) won't need the 2 tone shaping segments so that helps.

Kits like this, B1 and your other utility builds really give studios like mine with a creative/non commercial focus a serious fighting chance in todays strange audio business. As a result I can afford to hire a pro acoustician and get everything properly integrated into the room. So I'm very grateful for the initiative and your time for our questions.

I am wondering if anyone here has tried these filters with Altec Lansing 604D or VOT's (416/808 on 511 horns/original VOT cabinet)? The filters that came with either one of these aren't anything special. I am currently running a 2nd order Butterworth @ 1200 KhZ on the VOTs and not sure what you would call the filter for the 604s. The challenge with 604 is the time alignment. There are some schematics out there for the 604s, but can get kinda pricey.

How well would this crossover work with either of these 2 speakers? I'm running a recently completed Aleph J (dual mono) into the 604's. I have no intention of bi-amping.

Hey Dr. G,
First, I do not wish to discourage you or anything our beloved Nelson has to offer. That said:
I cannot speak for these xo's whatsoever, but I can tell you it doesn't hurt to reconsider your choice if budget allows. I have the 604-8H's along with a helper woofer. That passive xo has both mid and high attenuation and is fine but I have not found a better way of doing it than active. I use the rather inexpensive Behringer CX2310 and 30wpc Tascam amps for the highs and it really is leaps and bounds above the stock.

Last edited: