LX-mini Crossover Article

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I find it easier to error with too many than too few.

:cheers:

Hi Nelson, ok, thanks. I am relieved I do not have to ship it to you or ZM. That was not real question. Here is one.

In the typical 12dB/oct filter, there are two caps and two resistors per section. Like here in the pictures. Stolen from late SL page, great site, or your SLOB article.

Attachments

• filter.gif
    filter.gif
    6 KB · Views: 612
  • filter1.jpg
    filter1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 619
  • filter2.png
    filter2.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 559
Hi everybody,

I just built two of the boards, each of them as 24 dB Linkwitz-Riley crossovers. I cascoded them in order to get an active three way crossover. I calculated standard Salley Key with Q=0.71 each. Did not make any fr measurements yet but can already say it does not sound wrong. I used mainly polypropylene filmcaps, some of them are mounted on the bottom side.

I am just curious, across R13 and R15 I get only 0.5 V, while across R14, R16 and R35--R38 I get 0.75 V as expected. This is the first stage where I changed the original circuit to salley key low pass. Should I care about it?

Thank you for this nice little project!

Attachments

• IMG_0731.JPG
    IMG_0731.JPG
    438.7 KB · Views: 650
Last edited:
V_ref is (virtual) ground for the filter, so there is nothing to worry there. This is because of the single voltage power supply.

But I recognised that the values of the hi and lo pass in the lxmini filters are not the typical sallen key values where you have 2R to ground (or v-ref) in the high pass and 2C in the feedback loop of the low pass. In the LX mini filters this is not as expected. Is it because they are no standard 12 dB filters?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It is rare when a standard SK filter value is the best fit. That is why I have so much fun with really variable crossovers.
Your top filter is a high Q bass booster, set to provide the EQ on the LXmini low end (more or less).
The bottom is more conventional, but still has some variation of SK reflecting the response curve that SL used in DSP.

Last edited by a moderator:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
V_ref is (virtual) ground for the filter, so there is nothing to worry there. This is because of the single voltage power supply.

But I recognised that the values of the hi and lo pass in the lxmini filters are not the typical sallen key values where you have 2R to ground (or v-ref) in the high pass and 2C in the feedback loop of the low pass. In the LX mini filters this is not as expected. Is it because they are no standard 12 dB filters?

Ok, makes sense. What about in low pass filter section. Vref resistor remains to provide half the volts (virtual zero), but cap to the ground is missing then.

@ Nelson

Please share more information on the turn on/turn off thump. Is it a single 0.5 Hz half cycle or does it ring for some time? How much delay would be appropriate for turn on and turn off?

The reason I am asking is that I have the opportunity to power your board from the power amp transformer and through an existing linear regulator, but I don't want to leave the power amp on all the time. I am trying to decide if its worthwhile to come up with some delay circuit, use me as the delay switching the crossover separately, or just go for the wall wart.

Thanks,

Jac

That's definitely the fall back position, but I admit that I already have too many "always on" devices in my home and adding another 15 kWhr per year seems wasteful. Of course, that is way better than leaving the power amp on.

Anyway, I'm just trying to understand the issue better and try to be a bit green if I can.

Jac