Caps for a Not-So-Bright Idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have Altec 605B's in open baffles above 18" woofers in open-backed (big) boxes. Works pretty well. But there are always wrinkles. I use simple passive line-level cap-resistor bypass with series resistor shelving filter to correct some of the OB cancellation, but there are other FR wrinkles to deal with.

I chased a reference to the section of the liked page with the "Have Ya Ever Been Too High???". Do It Yourself DIY
It has five parallel shelving filters evenly spaced. It might work for me.

I thought it could be useful to put a switch on each filter so they each can be switched out of the circuit. I also thought that adding one more parallel leg at a lower frequency cold be helpful in my OB case.

My question for now is 'What do you suggest for a series of capacitors that would be matching/compatible in character over the range of values: .001uf, .002mf, .0047uf, .01uf, .022uf and .047uf?'

That range seems to demand one type of cap (film/film and foil) for the larger values and something else (silver mica?) for the smaller ones. Needing 12 caps, I dpn't want to spend a lot of money on these, at least until I've had a chance to listen to the results of an initial build. Any suggestions here?

Thanks, Skip

Last edited:
Thank you both! Checking out the MKCs and the 1837s online, I see no values below .01uf. What other type of cap would be good for .001-.0047ufd? As an aside, I'm surprised that the small value Roederstein/ERO and Wima MKC caps are not as expensive as I thought they might be.

Skip

Completed! and a request (of course)

I've had it done for about a week, and I'm very pleased -- It gives me a lot of flexibility in tonal adjustment where my system needs it. Could any of you suggest a simple schematic drawaing app (Windows). I don't need any technical outputs, just files in a simple/common graphics format. A library of basic component primatives to connect with lines should be enough.

Thanks,

Skip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.