Thoughts about the Benefit of Recapping Main Supply Caps (Forte Model 3 Amp)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Forte Model 3 is 25-30yrs old. The bias trimmers aren't stable, so I'll be changing those out soon.

While I'm in there, I was thinking of replacing the 4 big supply caps (24000uF/45v) with 33000uF/63V caps. This is based just on age and since I'll be in there anyway. The increase in value is due to what's in stock and matches the size of the current caps.

The current caps are 24000uF +75%, -10%, while the new caps would be 33000uF +/-20%, so the nominal value will likely be higher, but the overlap in full range between the two is actually pretty close.

The cost to do so is about $75 in parts.

Is this a waste of $ or a wise/proactive maintenance step?

I do like the sound of the amp, so my plan was to keep it for the foreseeable future.

Thanks.

wise

replace also all smaller 'lytics

Thanks for your input - I was leaning that way too, but always like to hear others' opinions.

Funny thing is, I didn't see any smaller electrolytics at all. Some film caps, but no electrolytics. Pics of the Model 3 attached (not mine, but essentially the same).

Jon from V.A.R. also replaces the rectifier diodes in his upgrades - would there be a benefit to that?

Attachments

• IMG_0842.JPG
    IMG_0842.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0841.JPG
    IMG_0841.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0843.JPG
    IMG_0843.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 110
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.