Battery biasing series polar capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder if my lack of success was due to the fact I had the caps wired with the negative ends together yet I connected the positive lead of the battery to the resistors connected to the those negative leads? Balanced output so that is why I speak in plural.

Wasn't thinking very clearly when i did this (duh).

This evening I connected the resistors to the positive power supply and got the same result as with the battery. No surprise, I guess.

I kept looking at those schematics using nonpolar caps and the JBL schematic shows no polarity at all - just connecting the positive lead to the centerpoint.

The other thing - should I have connected the caps with positive leads connected? I would think it would not matter as long as the correct polarity is used ... I will find out.

Will try tomorrow.

It makes absolutely no difference which leads are connected as long as each cap is biased in the direction it should. There is also no reason why it shouldn't work unless you have made some connection error. A circuit or a pic will clear this up.

In situations where a bulky cap cannot fit i always use the BG-N series which sound quite acceptable for the tiny size.

Another route would be exploring low offset opamp replacements and getting rid of the coupling caps altogether.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well , connect them in a way which you like more - with series connection , it is irrelevant what is going to see outer world - positive or negative end

but , polarity of connected battery must be oriented that each cap is having proper polarization

same in case when you're using local rail , but then you must orient caps accordingly, simply because rails are "in fixed orientation"

What I did was stupid.

I wired them with the negative leads connected with the resistor connected to the positive lead of the battery and then the positive power supply lead . Mea culpa, mea culpa Last time I did this I was using nonpolar caps and put the positive lead to the centerpoint without stopping for a second to remember these are non-nonpolar caps. The persistence of memory effect? Was Dali an audiophile?

Getting ready to try with the negative supply rail used to supply the chip before the cap combo.

Yes, I am embarrassed but I reassure myself with the fact that one learns more from doing it wrong ...

THANKS.

What's worse than a mistake is just completely missing the whole concept!

I figure a public admission does me good.

Used the negative supply that feeds one of the op amps for the bias voltage and everything works just fine.

Now to get really silly about it could there be any value of using opposite connections for the plus and minus sides of the balanced output coupling capacitor? I am not being completely serious but I do wonder ... Should the negative side get a -voltage charge and the positive a + charge with the caps arranged appropriately?

Yes, I am looking for something to do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.