Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

a suitable transistor substitution for Delite amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2018, 09:20 PM   #31
gmurray618 is offline gmurray618  United States
diyAudio Member

Aspringv can yo be a bit more specific. Nelson has a nice collection of articles and to read through each one until I found what you might have been referencing is daunting and I would never get my P.O. in on time (as in its already late ). So far Iíve be rereading the Zen 1 and F5 articles. Taking in a little more each time.
Old 12th June 2018, 09:41 PM   #32
aspringv is offline aspringv  Australia
diyAudio Member

Sure.

1) Transformers = playing with mains power = potential for serious consequences (death, cardiac arrest, serious burns). Whatever you do here will have to be safe and ...curious studentproof. I did an electrical apprenticeship later in life, and I'm amazed all the 16-18 yo's in my class survived the labs... No through anything other than not thinking things through.

2) http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_delite.pdf the transfo reccomended is a -minimum- of 350VA.

Per channel.

Last edited by aspringv; 12th June 2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12th June 2018, 10:14 PM   #33
gmurray618 is offline gmurray618  United States
diyAudio Member

In that article I saw 300 W heat disapatation for each channel. Iím going to be building the Zen 1.

In that article Nelson writes
Quote:
For figuring out the VA rating, use Figure 3 to determine the current drawn by a single bulb for the DC voltage you have chosen (interpolate for a 200 watt bulb). Now multiply this current by the voltage and then by the total number of light bulbs and then by 2. This is the VA rating of the transformer. The factor of 2 times the actual power draw of the circuit covers the "power factor" of the AC to DC conversion and allows a little more for margin. You are encouraged to consider this as a minimum figure.
page 7 of the Zen 1 article.

Did I miss something in my calculations?
Old 12th June 2018, 10:37 PM   #34
aspringv is offline aspringv  Australia
diyAudio Member

Sorry - I'll have to come back to you later! Gotta work. The Zen article specifies a 5A secondary at 25V iirc in the parts bit.

I'll let you have a look at your math yourself there

a suitable transistor substitution for Delite ampHide this!Advertise here!