My old Aleph 4 clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just ordered the parts for the chimney. It will be a 125mm ventilation tube with 120mm fan at the top. There should be plenty of room for 4 x 36mm dia caps at the bottom. The main CLCC caps will be in a separate enclosure with the transformers. At nearly £400 for the main caps I don't want them failing early again. Having said that their predecessors have lasted some 10 years even if the amplifier doesn't get used very often. The amplifier only runs at about 50C.

A word of caution. The original caps were NOS so who knows how old they were to start with.

I've got a 16A connector for the umbilical. The Aleph 4 uses about 200W / Channel so 16A capacity should be fine. 48-0-48 rails.

Last edited:
The original PSU was 33000uF 2mH 33000uF 33000uF.

I couldn't quite afford those big caps so it will now be.

22000uF 2mH 22000uF 22000uf ------ 4700uF

The recommended PSU (as published by KK-PCB) was 15000uF 15000uF 1.5mH 15000uF 15000uF. So I am still above his specs.

Last edited:
The original build.

I've just found a photo from when Dad originally built it.

Attachments

• Aleph 4.jpg
    Aleph 4.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 384
After a lot of saving for new components I'm finally in a position to try and sort out the cooked PSU from dad's old Aleph 4. The new PSU is almost twice the size of the original amplifier. While it is in pieces I'm going to facilitate the balanced input.

Attachments

• 20200110_112524.jpg
    20200110_112524.jpg
    859 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
The PSU ends up being CLCC-C.

Might it be better being CCC-LC ?

The hyphen indicating the umbilical.

The first option will be better for power supply performance, the second option will be better for longevity of the first cap/s.
The caps before the L see all the ripple current which are large so more caps here reduces the ripple current each cap sees, the caps after the L give you all the performance.
If you bought some more Caps and did CCL-CCC it would be ideal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.