My old Aleph 4 clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The supply may seem solid with no load but will sag around 2-3V once loaded - hence, maybe consider a SMPS.. the ACA's power supplies are outstanding, two of them can produce +24 / -24V; the sag will be few millivolts once loaded even with 4 A of a constant draw. The ground lug will have to be lifted on both supplies at the low voltage end, to get them working correctly for +24 / -24 config.

I believe in the shortest possible copper (or silver:)) bus-bars' current distributon, straight from the capacitor bank, located inside the amplifier enclosure; so an outboard power supply gets thumbs down, but that's me...

Nothing wrong with Cornell Doublier caps; you can get MLytics if you want...

If you want to pursue an outboard power supply, do not use any "local" decoupling inside the Aleph 4. Aleph 4 has the local decoupling on the PCB. Do not change the value of this capacitor. This will have a large effect on sound if you change them... in some cases even oscillations/instability.

Last edited:
get fractal design fans; very low noise, 12V DC models, run them at 10V and they'll be absolutely silent for years - they can be left ON indefinitely. Two of them will cool the interior very nicely + they will provide air flow around the heatsinks as well, to boost the heat dissipation; place them on top of Aleph 4, but lift them a bit from the top panel to allow some reflected air to flow across the heatsinks; they'll "wipe" the heat off the top of the heatsinks.

Last edited:
If you want to pursue an outboard power supply, do not use any "local" decoupling inside the Aleph 4. Aleph 4 has the local decoupling on the PCB. Do not change the value of this capacitor. This will have a large effect on sound if you change them... in some cases even oscillations/instability.

My Aleph 4 doesn't have any local decoupling. The only electrolytic is in the feedback loop.

Attachments

• aleph-4.gif
    aleph-4.gif
    17.2 KB · Views: 267
The chimney with a small fan sounds like a good solution. Even the slowest speed on the fan (resistors can be used to slow it down) should move enough air to keep the new caps cool. Keeping the last bank of caps in your CLC or CLCC in the amp should work well. This mans that your outboard psu is either CL then unbilical or CLC then unbilical. If you need to rebuild in the future for similar reasons, replacing just the few caps that are inside the amp will be less expensive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.