The diyAudio First Watt M2x

I have just bought a set of these to see if they can be used - I will let people know if there is interest in this experiment.

Amazon.com: Youme Power Amass 10 Pair XT60H Upgraded XT60 Sheath Housing Connector Plug, Lithium Battery Discharging Terminal for RC Lipo Battery RC Model: Toys & Games

518IA9-5hAL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

..dB

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Basic question

I have switched my M2x build over to full mono blocks. In process I changed xformer to AS-2220 and modified my UPS to the big board diodes. I am getting 28.3V both + and - out of the PSU. Unloaded. Is that voltage OK with the M2x boards? Starting with Ishikawa and Mt View but want to be able to do the others.
Thanks,
Don

What really matters is the loaded voltage that your channel boards get after the voltage drop from the rectifiers and resistor networks on your PSU boards.
Some of the M2x input stage boards will handle the higher voltage better than others. The Ishikawa is probably Ok, but the Mtn View would be safer. The Tuscon is also fine, but the Austin diamond buffer may be on the edge for long term reliability of the ZTX parts in its output stage.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Thank you guys. I have to get my nomenclature right. The 28.3v is the output of the UPS not hooked up to the M2x so I called it unloaded. I just put a DMM on the output pins of the UPS. I normally do that as check on my workmanship so I know the amp (or pre) has the right supply. Does unloaded mean somewhere else?
Thanks,
Don

No D you have it right... when you load that supply with MX2, if you were running the SLB supply, you should see something in the 23-24v when you check the supply under load. Think car RPM out of gear (unloaded) and in gear (loaded) the RPM will drop. Same here with voltages. Since you are running the UPS, you are going to see a bit less drop. I'm not sure what the drop is under load for the UPS...

J

Last edited:
Has anybody tried using a DAC that has vol. control in the digital domain directly connected to M2X?
The M2X input stage (e.g. Norwood) seems to have a very easy to drive input stage. So it should not be a problem to drive the M2X directly from a standard line stage.
All claims their DACs vol. control in digital domain is far superior to any other analog vol. control. They claim that there are no loss of resolution. How this can be true I don't know. Logical thinking there should be some loss of resolution.
I have yet to try my DAC in "preamp mode" connected directly to M2X.

Has anybody tried using a DAC that has vol. control in the digital domain directly connected to M2X?

I've been using my Bel Canto DAC3 directly into my M2x, F6 or Aleph J with great success. No apparent loss of resolution when using the digital volume control. Sound is pristine and direct. By eliminating the preamp you have fewer components and fewer cables to degrade the sound.

Give it a try!

I have switched my M2x build over to full mono blocks. In process I changed xformer to AS-2220 and modified my UPS to the big board diodes. I am getting 28.3V both + and - out of the PSU. Unloaded. Is that voltage OK with the M2x boards? Starting with Ishikawa and Mt View but want to be able to do the others.
Thanks,
Don

I have the same TF as2220 for my stereo version. the voltage settles down to 25-0-25 when the bias comes up to full 2.6amps.
The tucson opa604 that can handle 24-0-24 supply and IPS7 are the only ones I consider 100% safe. The ishikawa could blow up and the norwood is way too close for comfort without tweaking the diodes.

The M2X input stage (e.g. Norwood) seems to have a very easy to drive input stage. So it should not be a problem to drive the M2X directly from a standard line stage.
All claims their DACs vol. control in digital domain is far superior to any other analog vol. control. They claim that there are no loss of resolution. How this can be true I don't know. Logical thinking there should be some loss of resolution.
I have yet to try my DAC in "preamp mode" connected directly to M2X.

I just got a Topping D90 and it works just fine. HOWEVER, I am still working out the bugs and I am not fully happy with the sound.
The BEST sound I got so far is the iphone with a dongle into a 3.5mm jack to rca cable into M2x into speakers.
I am talking about the crappiest cable you can imagine but the sound from this battery power device is magic.
I can get close with D90 connected to computer via USB but I reserve my judgement as more experimentation is needed.
The sound from CD and vinyl to my ears is terrible compared to spotify through iphone. I don't even have to go to Tidal or anything too crazy to get great sound. I have some Chesky hires files to play with this weekend.

Ok, I have a Bluesound Node 2i and a HiFi Tidal agreement. Node 2i has a 32 bit Burr Brown converter and it is up-sampled to 32 bit so I guess the vol. control is working in 32 bit digital domain and then back to 16 or 24 bit music. This is probably the trick to get a "no-loss" digital volumen control. However company like PSAUDIO use 20x up-sample and 50 bits. I think they have mathematical proof that their digital vol. control is "bit perfect" while other just claims this is the case. So I don't know if 32 bits is enough to get bit-perfect 24 bit music (probably ok with 16-bit). My Tidal is the only source in the moment (I may add a CD-player as I have a lot of CD's). I will give digital volume control a try.....

I watched these:
Is it better to digitally attenuate the signal? - YouTube
http://www.esstech.com/files/3014/4095/4308/digital-vs-analog-volume-control.pdf

I just got a Topping D90 and it works just fine. HOWEVER, I am still working out the bugs and I am not fully happy with the sound.
The BEST sound I got so far is the iphone with a dongle into a 3.5mm jack to rca cable into M2x into speakers.
I am talking about the crappiest cable you can imagine but the sound from this battery power device is magic.
I can get close with D90 connected to computer via USB but I reserve my judgement as more experimentation is needed.
The sound from CD and vinyl to my ears is terrible compared to spotify through iphone. I don't even have to go to Tidal or anything too crazy to get great sound. I have some Chesky hires files to play with this weekend.

Gold plated solder points on the PCB?
The red BA-3 pre PCB has gold plated solder points.
So it is possible. It has to be done by the "PCB maker" and not as a post process?
It is written (C) 2011, NELSON PASS on my PCB.....so for some.....it is possible?
Who made these PCBs?

@MAPER
iphone at max volume is all my ears can tolerate and is the perfect high volume listening setting with 103 dB eff speakers so very little to no decimation should be happening. I am at 80% setting on the topping which, I feel, is pretty good.
All in all I am well within the first watt setting so the all the California papas should be happy.;)

I just tried to connect my DAC directly to M2X and use digital volumen control. Noise level is very low. I have to put the dome tweeter directly into my ear to be able to hear some noise at all with 94 dB speakers. With ear 20 cm from dome it is not audible. Sound is very good. I can set min. and max. range for volume. I set full range (-90 - 0 dB). At -90 dB I have to concentrate to hear music at listening position. But still a lot more signal than noise with ear close to dome tweeter. It is probably the pre-amp that has the less "sugar" of any but M2X may have "sugar enough" for my taste. Will see during some weeks if I still prefer this setup. It can play plenty loud so I don't need more gain in amplifier.