The diyAudio First Watt M2x

I had no idea that album was mixed in QSound! (And looking ant they wiki article, it mentions that it was the first release of QSound... neat!)

If you have Tidal, the mix is intact, and yes, it's a blast. In Tidal you must search for "the immaculate collection" because Tidal's search function is a lot like Yahoo search in the 90's (it's close to useless). The album does not show up if you search for Madonna and click albums.

QSound may be a parlor trick, but as mentioned, it's really fun trick, and if you've never heard it before, you'll like it. :yes: Sit in the sweet spot, speakers need to be equidistant from ears for max effect. It's neat.

:D :D :D

Thanks for the tip. Tidal is something else. This board is no trick. As good as many systems are, usually they do a great 2 dimensional re-creation of the music, but this daughter board creates a 3 dimensional sense of the music. I feel the musicians in the room and their intentions. Instruments gives players feedback and I wonder if somehow this board imparts some of that info. Its eerie and magical, especially in the sweet spot!

Mine.

Attachments

• IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    855.1 KB · Views: 765
That's some good looking SMD assembly work there. Bravo.
I do love tinkering with my M2x. The Norwood boards are the only ones of the original set that I haven't assembled yet. I have been trying some alternate circuits, and found that the Edcors seem to respond well to higher bias current in the output stage. So the Norwood seems like something else to try.

Thanks,patience is a virtue. Not that bad actually, had to do a search for correct way on D3,D4 zeners. Bought a new Hakko and some .020/.5mm solder . I don't have the know how or equipment to go experimenting by myself, I have to rely on the people here who do. So hope you have luck in your tinkering and share your results.

As far as a favorite board, I only have a month into listening so more time will tell. So far they all sound great with little sonic differences. This one is quite nice after a couple of hour ,no complaints.

How are your observations so far?

I made the Tucson so i could try different op amps and tried both on the BOM . I like it with the OPA1611 very clear sound.The Norwood is very good .

Mark, I looked up the one you mentioned ( LT1122) and see three similar to me I can't determine the one for this application. Slew rates are not my forte, could you point to the one you used and I may give it a try also. Thanks

So far my favorites are:
Mtn View with the red LED replaced by a precision voltage source and Linear Systems 2N4416A;
Austin, exactly as specified.

I have also experimented with a Zen V5 preamp (what I like to think of as a CMOS inverter) with gain ~5.5 dB, which sounds promising but needs more work. I’ve been using the Fairchild FQP3N30 & FQP3P20 biased at 50 mA. They get hot. I have an ACP+ layout on deck, and a variation of the Diamond buffer tweaked to use TTC004B & TTA004B in the output stage.

Last edited:
I stuck with the red LED ,sounds very good too . I only listened to Austen a couple of days ,need more time with that one . They all sound very good ,I'm hooked.
I think I might try the Korg Nutube B1 kit when it comes available. Seams it works well with the M2X. Also want to build the Aleph J parts are issue there too at moment.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
If you can't decide which LT1122 to buy, flip a coin. Or pick the most expensive (or the cheapest). Or pick the one with the largest number of units in stock and on the shelf. Or make a list of all the LT1122 models whose slew rate is faster than the slew rate of the stock Tucson opamp (OPA604), and pick the cheapest one on that list.

It's offered in both SOIC-8 and DIP-8 packages. The Tucson PCB layout accepts either one.