The diyAudio First Watt M2x

Thanks for those links, Mark. I've been searching through a pile of automotive tools, for the most part, to build this stuff. It would have been much easier to have the correct tools at hand.

dB - I will definitely get the Norwoods back in. I quite enjoyed them first time through, in that magical time when the amp was warmed up, but the fans hadn't yet kicked in. Thanks again for your generosity, and that of Kevin, whose boards sadly gave their lives in my first attempt at SMD construction.

I built the MT board with the parts as per the BOM from Mouser, US. The elusive RED led I got it from Mark who graciously sent me over. Now when I replaced one of the existing Ishikawa board with the MT I can see the RED led lighting up on power on of the amplifier. But there is no music playing from the channel where MT is placed but the other channel with Ishikawa plays music. Then I replaced both the Ishikawa with the MT and I can see that the speakers are having hum/hiss sound on power up but there is no music playing through them. So the speakers are up with hum so there is output and no issues with the offset as I have dual mono speaker protection boards and they work fine. Any pointers to where I should check the issues on this board.

Thanks

I've had a few questions about the little CLC board that I used to tie the power supplies together. It is:

LPS212A | Connex Electronic

One warning: The male connector attachments to the board are not really robust, so if you think that you might at some point have to disconnect leads to or from the board, be careful. Perhaps loosen up the female wiring connectors, as Mark suggested in a prior post,

Joined 2011
Paid Member
... when I replaced one of the existing Ishikawa board with the MT I can see the RED led lighting up on power on of the amplifier. But there is no music playing from the channel where MT is placed but the other channel with Ishikawa plays music.

Is this an accurate summary?
  • You built two Mountain View circuit boards
  • When installed in M2x, each of them lights up its red LED
  • When installed in M2x, neither of the two boards worked. The only output at the speakers was hiss, not music.
Quite a few members have built working Mountain View boards, and enjoyed the resulting sound. So I don't think it's likely that the bare PCBs are the source of the problem. It's much more likely that either an assembly mistake happened, or that you've got one or more failed components. Since the problem is on both Mountain View boards, it's probably something that is common to both boards: assembly.

Check for cold-soldered joints, the number one cause of circuit misbehavior on diyAudio PCBs.

Check that you installed the three KSC3503 transistors correctly; it's pretty easy to put them in backwards by mistake. If one of them is rotated 180 degrees, I recommend replacing it with a fresh brand new transistor if possible.

Check that D1, D2, and the LED are installed correctly and not reversed.

_

Attachments

• mtnview.png
    mtnview.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 790
Hello tubesguy from Danilo the newbye.
May you draw the schematich of connections from LRS200 and CLC circuit?
And from CLC to ampli borad?
And, also of course the schematich of CLC board.

I would like do do the same fot F5.

T.I.A.

Danilo

It's the store Deluxe 4 chassis, the M2X boards, with Ishikawa installed now (long story), two Meanwell LRS 200 power supplies, and a little CLC board to filter and to provide convenient power supply taps. Not shown: The original LRS 350 supplies, which are equipped with fans that make the listening room sound like a computer server farm. Also not shown: me with my head inside the 100db+ horns listening for hum or other noise. There is none.

Quite a few members have built working Mountain View boards, and enjoyed the resulting sound. So I don't think it's likely that the bare PCBs are the source of the problem. It's much more likely that either an assembly mistake happened, or that you've got one or more failed components. Since the problem is on both Mountain View boards, it's probably something that is common to both boards: assembly.

Check for cold-soldered joints, the number one cause of circuit misbehavior on diyAudio PCBs.

Check that you installed the three KSC3503 transistors correctly; it's pretty easy to put them in backwards by mistake. If one of them is rotated 180 degrees, I recommend replacing it with a fresh brand new transistor if possible.

Check that D1, D2, and the LED are installed correctly and not reversed.

_

Thanks Mark, your analysis is right. Both the MT boards are not working even though the Red LED lights up on both. Actually I replaced the caps on the MT boards with Nichicon ones instead of the generic ones which I got locally. Maybe I would have damaged some traces in replacing them. Will check that out with the continuity test on the DMM. Regarding the D1/D2 I think they are fine with the polarity. But the KSC3503 transistors will need to check and I will post the high resolution pics for easy reference. This could also be the problem as I would have soldered the other side.

Thanks

Hello Danilo -

I really don't know how to produce a schematic using the computer, but I will be taking the amplifier out of the system tomorrow (to add fans for additional cooling) and will take some detailed close-up photos of how it is all connected. (With credit again to dB, who helped me out with concept and implementation.)

I can't tell you if the CLC board is absolutely necessary or if there would be noise without it, because I installed it from the start. It functions as a final filter, which is perhaps always helpful, and also as a convenient way to (on the input side) tie the two power supplies together correctly in a series connection and (on the output side) provide separate +, -, and ground connections for each of the two channels. The capacitors are 50v 5600 microfarad, and the inductors do not show their values. If I were starting over, I would use smaller capacitors, and size the inductors to effectively filter at the power supply's switching frequency.

Pictures tomorrow, which I will post in your F5 thread.

Some M2X listening impressions. My setup is M2X as mono blocks (input board Tucson with OPA604). I use Bluesound Node2i as source. I have a Tidal HiFi agreement so I can listen to MQA recordings (mostly 24 bit). I use a passive pre (Goldpoint 24 step 10k attenuator). This gives the perfect amount of amplification and a very silent setup. Then I can listen to the pure M2X sound without "coloration" from a preamp. And I can say that the sound is just perfect for my ears. Very transparent and nice polished sound without being "rounded". Stereo imaging is very good and easy to hear position of each instrument. A really nice thing is that I can listen for hours. That is the most important that you look forward to power on the amps and have a listening session. I would like other to try using passive pre and hear their impressions (if you don't use turntable). I can't hear any "push-pull" artifacts. It is my first PP-amp after 300B, ACA and MoFo. I feel I can live with M2X without need for the others. With ACA and MoFo I was still very happy with 300B. It is difficult for me in the moment try using other input boards as I feel it is just perfect "as is". But I will of course…...somewhere in the future. Think I also enjoy a little "pause" in DIY......and have a nice clean "dinning table"..... :)

I think M2X input boards are very "passive preamp friendly".....even with C0 mounted :)

Attachments

• DSC_3768_00001.jpg
    DSC_3768_00001.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 491
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2013
Paid Member
I built a B1 Korg Triode preamp for my M2x amplifier, here are the REW graphs for the preamp and amp together with 9.5 vdc plate voltage for the B1 and 2 volts out into 4 ohms on the amp. First graph is the amp only, second is with B1 Korg, both using Ishikawa boards.
The B1 preamp really made this amp sound incredible! Large soundstage extending way past the speakers, with incredible depth which was missing using my Hafler 915 preamp.

Attachments

• M2x Ishikawa 2 v 4 ohms.JPG
    M2x Ishikawa 2 v 4 ohms.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 508
  • M2x Ishikawa with B1 Korg Triode 2 v 4 ohms.JPG
    M2x Ishikawa with B1 Korg Triode 2 v 4 ohms.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 498