The diyAudio First Watt M2x

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Place the big noisy magnetically leaky power transformer away from the signal transformers.

IMG_1904.jpg

Just hooked up my M2 Mountain View for this evening.
Saying I am pleased so far would be a huge understatement.

Will do some critical listening with my son tomorrow, and hopefully we can devote a full day in the next week or so to it.

What surprised me the most so far is how well it controls the 12" drivers in the bass bins of my speakers. The speakers do have 102dB sensitivity, but I still expected them to be a bit much for the amp.

Just wanted to stop by for a moment and say thank you to all the people who have made this project happen.

-Josh

The Texas A&M repair, which requires no de-soldering and re-soldering, is simply to affix a piece of black electrician's tape to the chassis floor, underneath that lead.

Oh the Shame Mr. Johnson...the shame.

You left out the most important part of the Texas A&M repair...and that sir is placing your one palm on the fore head and one palm on the back of your head and pressing in.

Then, you must remove your hands and place these same palms on either side of your head between your ears and your temples and press them in also.

You now may proceed exercising due caution in your Texas A&M Repair, why you ask? Because you got your Scheisse together now!

Cheers,

Joined 2011
Paid Member
One must grudgingly admire the literary genius of the Texas A&M cheerleaders, who created the heart pounding "Aggie War Hymn" which ends with this amazing rhyme:
Chigga Rigga Rum!
Chigga Rigga Rum!
Rough Stuff, Real Stuff
Texas A and M !!!​

I think we all must admit that neither Bennett Cerf, nor Ogden Nash, nor even the greatest giant of doggerel rhyme that ever lived, Doctor Seuss himself, was as bold or creative as the Aggs who tried to rhyme "Rum" with "M" (pronounced ummm when singing the War Hymn). Those Aggies, bless their heart.

BTW "cheerleader" has too feminine a connotation for proud Aggies. They prefer "yell leader". Yes really.

One quick question regarding the power transformer as I have started building my M2x boards after getting the Edcor input transformers. I have a 0-18 @ 7A *2 (2 secondary) Toroidal transformer which pairing with 2 bridge rectifiers and then parallel to 2 of the Juma's cap multiplier boards should be getting around 24vdc. I hope this is fine otherwise I have a 0-22v @ 3.4A *2 (originally brought for my Sony VFET amp) and I can build the CRC psu boards with 15000uf 35v caps *8 + 0.47R 3W resistors but I think the DC voltage will be around 32VDC which is more than required for M2x. Please guide on how to use my existing 18v or 22v trafos for this build.

Thanks

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Have a look at the circuit schematic diagram of the M2 (or the M2x). It consists of three stages. Unity gain buffer at the input, Edcor transformer in the middle, MOSFET unity gain powerbuffer at the output. All three of those have excellent power supply rejection. It would be difficult to find another amplifier with better immunity to supply ripple, than the First Watt M2 (or the M2x). This guy Nelson Pass knows what he's doing.