Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

The diyAudio First Watt M2x
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2018, 05:09 PM   #611
PH104 is offline PH104  United States
diyAudio Member

That's a nice reference, Mark. Thanks.
Old 14th September 2018, 05:23 PM   #612
RafaPolit is offline RafaPolit  Ecuador
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info and the literature! I'll read it and soak in as much as possible. Thanks!!

GASCo, I think that sharing would be more useful to me than what it would be to others, as people could comment on the choices and propose changes. My fear is that someone would just go and buy the project and there would be obvious errors or wrongly replaced components!

Also, I must note that sometimes if the BOM calls for something like 0R to 100R, I would put into the project a 1R, a 10R and a 100R to see which works best. Also, for impossible-to-replace-locally components as the 0R47 3W resistors, I sometimes put the Panasonic versions and then some of the Wirewound Resistors that were commented upon earlier on this thread. Some components I add more of just in case... so I'm really not sure how useful they would be!

At any rate, here they are (everything is 1 channel, for a full Amp you would need to order 2 of each):
DISCLAIMER! DO NOT BUY THESE PROJECTS unless you really know what you are doing. I'm below-noob on DIY. These projects are more for others to help me rather than for me to put out a one-click-buy project. These are NOT finished projects! Please, use with caution!

Obviously, comments and suggestions are more than welcome!!!

Last edited by RafaPolit; 14th September 2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 14th September 2018, 06:01 PM   #613
tsmith1315 is online now tsmith1315  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaPolit View Post
Also, I sadly found out that, even if you purchase in the US Mouser store, if your shipment location is not within the US, they change availability and option to buy online or not. That was the case with the elusive red leds. They are available to ship into the US, but purchasing in the US store and shipping to Ecuador, they change to "not able to buy online". Thought you folks may want to know.
Rafa,

Have you tried other suppliers, or is that a bureaucratic policy?
Old 14th September 2018, 06:08 PM   #614
GASCo is offline GASCo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith1315 View Post
Rafa,

Have you tried other suppliers, or is that a bureaucratic policy?
Most likely that particular LED supplier/importer has only license to sell in the US. Representation of the brand elsewhere must be done by another company. If that's the case, no other store will ship it either.

Rafa, I'd be happy to proxy that for you in case you're interested. Just drop me a PM and I can give you my address. I can gather different shipments and redirect to you in a single box if you want.

Thanks for the project sharing, Rafa! It is a great starting point already and really I don't think anybody gets it right in one purchase from day one anyway!

Last edited by GASCo; 14th September 2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 14th September 2018, 06:28 PM   #615
RafaPolit is offline RafaPolit  Ecuador
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith1315 View Post
...Have you tried other suppliers...
Actually no, because... ideally... I need to purchase everything from a single supplier in a single purchase, as each shipment costs $35 + import taxes and fees, no matter what you send. So... "Oh, I forgot 1 resistor!" Yeap, that $0.20 resistor costs "only" $40.20 delivered to my door. So, you get the picture... its not like: "Ok, this one from Mouser, this other part from Digikey, this other is better at Amazon... Ok, all done!".

Which brings me to this generous offer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GASCo View Post
...I'd be happy to proxy that for you in case you're interested...
Thank you so much! This community really is all about sharing, isn't it? I have seen similar communities that preach the same ideals but, in the end, they actually don't live up to them. Here everyone is actually THAT nice when it comes to helping others! Thanks! Really humbled by your offer.

As it turns out, another member also addressed me with this same offer yesterday when I was asking about replacements. Generosity really is found aplenty here on DIY.

Thanks again! If ever there comes need for it, I would take you up on the offer... though I prefer not to bother others with my issues and geographic complications. Thanks again!

Rafa.

Last edited by RafaPolit; 14th September 2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 14th September 2018, 07:29 PM   #616
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

Rafa, given your import tax structure, it *MAY* be advantageous to you to round all component quantities up to the nearest unit of 10 or 20 when you purchase. Pass Labs designs are well known for (re)using "standard" parts such as 220uF caps or 220R resistors. Certain parts just keep showing up over and over... The last time I ordered parts, I think I picked up 20 extra of certain parts, just to have some on hand. Some small diodes cost $0.05 each - so I ordered 100 of them. With caps, you often get price breaks when you cross units of 10, 20, or 25. It makes the first purchase cost more, but saves you money the next time around. Plus, you start to grow a small collection of parts that makes future experimentation easier: What happens if I change bias level? What happens if I change XYZ? If you can, just order more and tuck them away for that "next project" that we both know is going to happen...
Old 14th September 2018, 07:29 PM   #617
tsmith1315 is online now tsmith1315  United States
diyAudio Member

Indeed, this is a nice place to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaPolit View Post
Actually no, because... ideally... I need to purchase everything from a single supplier in a single purchase, as each shipment costs $35 + import taxes and fees, no matter what you send. So... "Oh, I forgot 1 resistor!" Yeap, that $0.20 resistor costs "only" $40.20 delivered to my door. So, you get the picture... its not like: "Ok, this one from Mouser, this other part from Digikey, this other is better at Amazon... Ok, all done!".
Agreed, and here's what I've been doing because of backorders or unavailable items:

Open a shopping cart in multiple (Mouser and DigiKey, etc) sites at the same time. Copy your Mouser P/N from the BOM and paste it into Mouser's search bar. From the resulting product page, copy the MFR's P/N and paste it into DigiKey's search bar. Add the item to both shopping carts. I also paste the DigiKey P/N on the BOM spreadsheet for future reference.

When you're done you have at least two choices for your entire order in about the same amount of time as one. Hopefully at least one of them will have everything you need in one shipment.
Old 14th September 2018, 07:51 PM   #618
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

When I buy components from e.g. RS components I always add up so I get free shipping. I can always find something I need to add up. E.g. an extra DMM or whatever. For the MoFo the heatsinks alone was more than enough to get free shipping!!
Old 15th September 2018, 03:20 PM   #619
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I ordered a couple of MX2 boards so I have them for a future build. Also got a set of paired LS JFETs and Keratherm pads for the power mosfets.

The code "DIYAUDIO.COM" still works at DonAudio to get a little rebate on the EDCOR PC600_15k. Good to get these now.
Old 15th September 2018, 05:19 PM   #620
Skylar88 is offline Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I wonder what chance I have to get just the daughterboards.

The diyAudio First Watt M2xHide this!Advertise here!