Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

The diyAudio First Watt M2x
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2021, 01:33 AM   #4931
jfuquay is offline jfuquay  United States
Slow Learner
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever View Post
Post pics of how you have the transformer mounted. You don't have it mounted in such a way that you have a shorted turn, do you?
Here’s a photo. This is simply a piece of angle iron. I have put another layer of dense foam under the transformer and added a nylon washer to the mounting bolt. I made sure the mounting bolt has no contact with the inside of the toroid and the rubber washers are in place.

I don’t think I’ve miswired anything. Wouldn’t that show up as a wrong reading on the secondaries?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 05CEF8EB-B6C0-4EC2-881D-E59D39F12497.jpeg (370.0 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpeg 8468A95B-715F-4303-89EC-27C82BFB7E9E.jpeg (221.1 KB, 149 views)
Old 8th April 2021, 03:19 AM   #4932
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfuquay View Post
Here’s a photo. This is simply a piece of angle iron. I have put another layer of dense foam under the transformer and added a nylon washer to the mounting bolt. I made sure the mounting bolt has no contact with the inside of the toroid and the rubber washers are in place.

I don’t think I’ve miswired anything. Wouldn’t that show up as a wrong reading on the secondaries?
The narrow iron bracket is not my preferred method. When you tight the central bolt you are not applying uniform pressure all around the core but only in two narrow strips areas. What if you take a small book and place the transformer horizontally on top of it and inside the case far from the steel base or anything iron. Does that still hum?
Old 8th April 2021, 04:18 AM   #4933
jfuquay is offline jfuquay  United States
Slow Learner
diyAudio Member

I manipulated it several ways while it was unmounted and it continued to hum. I do, however, have some different voltage readings on left and right boards. I will pop the top tomorrow and post some measurements. But as I recall I was getting about 660 mV across one of the power resistors compared to about 550mV on the other board.
Old 8th April 2021, 04:52 PM   #4934
dantwomey is offline dantwomey  Canada
diyAudio Member

Almost done my M2x main boards. I must admit, some of the nicest boards I've worked on in a while.

Regards,
Dan
Old 8th April 2021, 10:58 PM   #4935
avdesignguru is offline avdesignguru  United States
diyAudio Member

jfuguay:
Reverse polarity on one AC primary in parallel with the other (for 120V operation) theoretically would cause the windings to "buck" each other and cause the transformer to hum noticeably. So, BLK+BLK and RED+RED across the AC line would be correct for the AS-3218.

A reversed secondary would put only the ripple out of polarity. I just listened to my transformer with an automotive vibration stethoscope and then reversed one secondary at the bridge. There was a very slight change in hum tone with the out of polarity setup actually sounding a bit smoother and the in polarity a bit raspier. But I'm leaving it connected "in polarity" because it seems there would be a potential loss of transformer efficiency and you can only hear the hum listening very carefully with that stethoscope.
Builds: Papa's B1, B1-Korg, F6, LxMini ACN, F7; Wayne Colburn's Whammy, Pearl II, BA2018; Mark Johnson's T2, M2x, Noir; Mike R's MoFo; Pete Millett's NuTube Buffer, NuHybrid, NuClassD; John Broskie's Aikido LV, A5 Attenuator; Jim Hagerman's Bugle2
Old 8th April 2021, 11:27 PM   #4936
dantwomey is offline dantwomey  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdesignguru View Post
jfuguay:
Reverse polarity on one AC primary in parallel with the other (for 120V operation) theoretically would cause the windings to "buck" each other and cause the transformer to hum noticeably. So, BLK+BLK and RED+RED across the AC line would be correct for the AS-3218.

A reversed secondary would put only the ripple out of polarity. I just listened to my transformer with an automotive vibration stethoscope and then reversed one secondary at the bridge. There was a very slight change in hum tone with the out of polarity setup actually sounding a bit smoother and the in polarity a bit raspier. But I'm leaving it connected "in polarity" because it seems there would be a potential loss of transformer efficiency and you can only hear the hum listening very carefully with that stethoscope.
I did the following for my own education. With the 3218 you really can't go wrong?

The diyAudio First Watt M2x-polarity-jpg

Regards,
Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polarity.jpg (52.6 KB, 128 views)
  Reply to this post

The diyAudio First Watt M2xHide this!Advertise here!