Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

The diyAudio First Watt M2x
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2020, 03:55 PM   #3561
dBel84 is offline dBel84  United States
diyAudio Member

I have just bought a set of these to see if they can be used - I will let people know if there is interest in this experiment.

Amazon.com: Youme Power Amass 10 Pair XT60H Upgraded XT60 Sheath Housing Connector Plug, Lithium Battery Discharging Terminal for RC Lipo Battery RC Model: Toys & Games

Click the image to open in full size.

..dB
Old 25th September 2020, 04:16 PM   #3562
donhughes111 is offline donhughes111
diyAudio Member

Default Basic question

I have switched my M2x build over to full mono blocks. In process I changed xformer to AS-2220 and modified my UPS to the big board diodes. I am getting 28.3V both + and - out of the PSU. Unloaded. Is that voltage OK with the M2x boards? Starting with Ishikawa and Mt View but want to be able to do the others.
Thanks,
Don
Old 25th September 2020, 05:57 PM   #3563
TungstenAudio is offline TungstenAudio  United States
diyAudio Member

What really matters is the loaded voltage that your channel boards get after the voltage drop from the rectifiers and resistor networks on your PSU boards.
Some of the M2x input stage boards will handle the higher voltage better than others. The Ishikawa is probably Ok, but the Mtn View would be safer. The Tuscon is also fine, but the Austin diamond buffer may be on the edge for long term reliability of the ZTX parts in its output stage.
Old 25th September 2020, 06:21 PM   #3564
thompsontechs is online now thompsontechs  United States
Freedom or Death
diyAudio Member

TA, if he's using the SLB, he can figure 3-4v drop loaded.... I actually see about 4.3v drop in mine.

I just happen to be working on a pair of monos right now and using the same trans with SLB and I'm measuring loaded at -+ 23.8v

JT

Last edited by thompsontechs; 25th September 2020 at 06:34 PM.
Old 25th September 2020, 06:49 PM   #3565
donhughes111 is offline donhughes111
diyAudio Member

Thank you guys. I have to get my nomenclature right. The 28.3v is the output of the UPS not hooked up to the M2x so I called it unloaded. I just put a DMM on the output pins of the UPS. I normally do that as check on my workmanship so I know the amp (or pre) has the right supply. Does unloaded mean somewhere else?
Thanks,
Don
Old 25th September 2020, 06:57 PM   #3566
thompsontechs is online now thompsontechs  United States
Freedom or Death
diyAudio Member

No D you have it right... when you load that supply with MX2, if you were running the SLB supply, you should see something in the 23-24v when you check the supply under load. Think car RPM out of gear (unloaded) and in gear (loaded) the RPM will drop. Same here with voltages. Since you are running the UPS, you are going to see a bit less drop. I'm not sure what the drop is under load for the UPS...

J

Last edited by thompsontechs; 25th September 2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 25th September 2020, 10:04 PM   #3567
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Has anybody tried using a DAC that has vol. control in the digital domain directly connected to M2X?
The M2X input stage (e.g. Norwood) seems to have a very easy to drive input stage. So it should not be a problem to drive the M2X directly from a standard line stage.
All claims their DACs vol. control in digital domain is far superior to any other analog vol. control. They claim that there are no loss of resolution. How this can be true I don't know. Logical thinking there should be some loss of resolution.
I have yet to try my DAC in "preamp mode" connected directly to M2X.
Old 25th September 2020, 10:55 PM   #3568
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Those pins are sooo cool!!
Old 26th September 2020, 02:52 AM   #3569
WKCox is offline WKCox  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEPER View Post
Has anybody tried using a DAC that has vol. control in the digital domain directly connected to M2X?
I've been using my Bel Canto DAC3 directly into my M2x, F6 or Aleph J with great success. No apparent loss of resolution when using the digital volume control. Sound is pristine and direct. By eliminating the preamp you have fewer components and fewer cables to degrade the sound.

Give it a try!
Pass Aleph J, F5, F6, M2x, ACA, ACP+, B1, B1 Korg; Colburn BA2018; Audio Research ST-70-C3; Dynaco ST-35, ST-70; Audio Electronic Supply SE-1; Elekit TU-8500; Hagerman Bugle; Scan-Speak Solist MTM; Selah SA-1; Seas Loki; Cavalli eXStatA; Millett Hybrid MAX
Old 26th September 2020, 03:22 AM   #3570
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhughes111 View Post
I have switched my M2x build over to full mono blocks. In process I changed xformer to AS-2220 and modified my UPS to the big board diodes. I am getting 28.3V both + and - out of the PSU. Unloaded. Is that voltage OK with the M2x boards? Starting with Ishikawa and Mt View but want to be able to do the others.
Thanks,
Don
I have the same TF as2220 for my stereo version. the voltage settles down to 25-0-25 when the bias comes up to full 2.6amps.
The tucson opa604 that can handle 24-0-24 supply and IPS7 are the only ones I consider 100% safe. The ishikawa could blow up and the norwood is way too close for comfort without tweaking the diodes.

The diyAudio First Watt M2xHide this!Advertise here!