Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

The diyAudio First Watt M2x
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2020, 12:46 AM   #3521
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is the pic of the attempt that didn't work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-5253.jpg (833.4 KB, 221 views)
Old 15th September 2020, 12:53 AM   #3522
diyAudio Member

this is the one that did not make any difference. I had virtually no noise to begin with. This is 22 ga steel super simple and it does not hug the edcor quite so much.
Only way to test this is to remove the toroid case and see what the effect is. Installing that made a HUGE difference in sound quality. That is also 2mm steel case from antek.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-5254.jpg (802.9 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-5255.jpg (866.8 KB, 213 views)
Old 15th September 2020, 12:55 AM   #3523
diyAudio Member

how it is fastened
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-5256.jpg (983.3 KB, 212 views)
Old 15th September 2020, 02:16 AM   #3524
Bones13 is offline Bones13  United States
Techie Wanabe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEPER View Post
Ok, I will find out to get some boards......should be easy as the Gerber is available. I am from Denmark (Europe) and have not ordered any components and I also need to perform some matching of the J113.....so may take a while before I have finished boards.
I was set to match fets yesterday, but the 1 uF caps I ordered were non polar... ordered appropriate ones, but this might be a beach weekend. Depends on Sally.

Good luck with your build.
Old 15th September 2020, 06:38 AM   #3525
avitkauskas is offline avitkauskas  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

@grataku, did I understand correctly that putting the power toroid in steel case made a huge difference for you, and after that a small steel case around the Edcor did not make any difference that you could hear?
Old 15th September 2020, 08:42 AM   #3526
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

When you do these experiments with shielding it is a big help to have distortion measurement running (e.g. Focusrite (sound card), REW, M2X) in a closed loop. Then you can see exactly which effect your shielding has on distortion / noise.
Old 15th September 2020, 09:04 PM   #3527
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avitkauskas View Post
@grataku, did I understand correctly that putting the power toroid in steel case made a huge difference for you, and after that a small steel case around the Edcor did not make any difference that you could hear?
yes
Old 15th September 2020, 09:11 PM   #3528
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEPER View Post
When you do these experiments with shielding it is a big help to have distortion measurement running (e.g. Focusrite (sound card), REW, M2X) in a closed loop. Then you can see exactly which effect your shielding has on distortion / noise.
I agree, unfortunately I have no such equipment.
It's very much an experiment without control at this point, but then again if I can't hear the difference it doesn't really matter.
Old 15th September 2020, 09:27 PM   #3529
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hum is quite easy to hear. For me it needs to be inaudible. If you have a DMM you can use that and set it to AC and measure speaker output with input grounded. My shows 0.0 mV on both L and R channel.
Old 15th September 2020, 10:07 PM   #3530
thompsontechs is offline thompsontechs  United States
Freedom or Death
diyAudio Member

I have no hum at all, and do not have the Edcor shielded. It wasn't luck though as I gave a lot of thought to layout because of all your input here. I'm from the the KISS school, if you can prevent something from happening in the first place, you don't have to patch it later. I have some pretty good gear for testing now, but haven't even plugged it in and learned how to use it lol. This winter, I shall do so, but with not to get perfect forms or this or that value. "perfect." I'm going to use it to learn what those values look like on amplifiers, speakers, chain that appeal to me. I could give a damn if it's something that others scoff at. It's all about you and your reaction to what you hear.

I've heard some very high end equipment and it sounded devoid of life to me. I couldn't really get my mind around what I did not like, but I just didn't feel "It" whatever that is. I also think "It" is different for every pair of ears and brain.

One thing I want to do it get the gear on as many systems as possible and see if I can find a correlation to what I like and don't. That could sure save some trial and error when looking to take on new projects.

JT

EDIT: PS, I finally got the lab in shape, put in a whole house gen, re-sodded the yard, rebuilt the truck engine, put in a state of the art security system, which included 50mm turrets and Claymores. :P

I dusted off the second channel of the mono build I put on hold 2 months ago. I did some minor metal work today, but am very excited to get back to building!!

Last edited by thompsontechs; 15th September 2020 at 10:17 PM.

The diyAudio First Watt M2xHide this!Advertise here!