Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

The diyAudio First Watt M2x
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2020, 01:59 AM   #3331
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

@Joshua
Your amp looks great. I would have to hear that 'zero hum' for myself though particularly since you are running a fan. I found that what other people consider as 'zero'-something or in 'as new conditions' is not so for me... LOL
I would venture the iron shield panel goes a long way in your enclosure. However, I don't believe the M2 needs more than a 200VA trafo. I use an antek AS-2220.
Old 7th August 2020, 06:05 AM   #3332
nelsondog is offline nelsondog  Philippines
diyAudio Member

What are the physical dimensions of the main board (mother board) itself? I’m wondering if an 8” wide heatsink would alright to use here.
Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 07:08 AM   #3333
avitkauskas is offline avitkauskas  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vunce View Post
HEATSINKS
2 x aluminum heatsinks 40mm thick, 300mm deep and anodized in black with 23 pre-drilled, pre-tapped blind M3 threads per side (a total of 46) as specified in our universal mounting specification

I don't think there is a 400mm pre-drilled option.
Oops! I have already ordered the 4U/300 Deluxe chassis. So will this be too small for M2X?
Old 7th August 2020, 11:13 AM   #3334
Bones13 is offline Bones13  United States
Techie Wanabe
diyAudio Member

The 4u deluxe chassis has enough cooling surface for a M2x, you certainly could entertain ways to shield your power transformer. I am using separate 4u deluxe chassis for my monoblocks.

I wrapped the coils of my signal transformers with a band of copper tape, then mu metal. As my power transformer is in the front of the box, yet centered, it is the same distance to either back corner. No hum.
Old 7th August 2020, 11:19 AM   #3335
ItsAllInMyHead is offline ItsAllInMyHead  United States
diyAudio Member

It will not be too small, but as others have mentioned, you may need to be careful to avoid hum.

If you are not concerned about tapping holes and/or would like the larger one - write to the store and see if they'll update your order. You also have an option for a 5U at 400mm depth with UMS.

Personally, having the extra depth is very nice. Not required, but nice. This is particularly true for a first build. I needed to update an order one time, and Gianluca (from Modushop) wrote me back confirming within one day. Since it's approaching the weekend, if you would like to update your order, I'd act quickly.

I can't guarantee it will work, but I do know they'd do their best. That team is awesome.

Either way, you'll have an awesome amp.

Edited to ensure clarity around which models have tapped UMS. 4U 300 and 5U 400
Old 7th August 2020, 11:35 AM   #3336
diyAudio Member

OK. So, I'm actually just building my ACA now, but I am planning for the FW clone next. I thought M2x would be a nice next step, but after reading all these "hum allerts" I'm a bit concerned. Perhaps Aleph J or F5 (not available at the moment though) would be a bit easier for the first real DIY project with sourcing all the parts (a bit of the challenge for the first time too) and building the PSU? What would you recommend, please?
Old 7th August 2020, 11:58 AM   #3337
ItsAllInMyHead is offline ItsAllInMyHead  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry, if I added to your concerns. With a bit of care, the M2x can be completely or nearly free of any audible hum in the chassis you've ordered. You really don't need to go to extraordinary lengths.

The M2x is an incredible project. I did it for my first "real" build.

Either way, a larger chassis is nice, but not necessary. Carry on. BoM sourcing is always a challenge the first few times. That'll be common for any of the amps.

Edited to add a shameless link - This could help. I tried to document my build and some of the experiences I had. A Noob's First First Watt - M2x

Last edited by ItsAllInMyHead; 7th August 2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 7th August 2020, 12:38 PM   #3338
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Edited to add a shameless link - This could help. I tried to document my build and some of the experiences I had. A Noob's First First Watt - M2x
That's awesome! I just read your first post there yet, but it already gives this so nice "you are not alone" feeling This will certainly by very usufull for that "Lego junky" like me I'm on the same path!
Old 7th August 2020, 12:51 PM   #3339
pfarrell is offline pfarrell  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's a pattern for an Edcor shield (rev. 5 or something =). I used .01" sheet mumetal—standoff and bolt are nylon where I attached the shield. Annealed or not—I can say beyond doubt that it makes a difference—under diagnosis with a pair of headphones. Details are in my post on this thread. #2938

My monoblocks do not have shielded transfos...but the next set will, why not?

And yes, ItsAllInMyHead's post, linked above, is required reading for anyone who's building these tasty amps. (You can see in the pics I fully support his notion of ceramic isolators on the mosfets.)

Also added MJ's sweet sweet ACPR power management boards since these pics were taken (I sleep better at night now).

The diyAudio First Watt M2x-pf-m2x-norwood-awesome-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PF-M2X-Chassis_01.jpg (593.4 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg PF-M2X-Norwood-is-awesome.jpg (503.3 KB, 368 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pfarrell-M2X-Edcor-Shield.pdf (48.8 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by pfarrell; 7th August 2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 7th August 2020, 08:17 PM   #3340
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avitkauskas View Post
OK. So, I'm actually just building my ACA now, but I am planning for the FW clone next. I thought M2x would be a nice next step, but after reading all these "hum allerts" I'm a bit concerned. Perhaps Aleph J or F5 (not available at the moment though) would be a bit easier for the first real DIY project with sourcing all the parts (a bit of the challenge for the first time too) and building the PSU? What would you recommend, please?
Do not let these hum issues bother you. I am very picky and a perfectionist and knowing what I know after building the M2x I would never choose the aleph or the ACA vs this amp! This is a very special design and it sounds extraordinary. It works like a tube amp (very slow turn on), it has a transformer for gain stage, no feedback and it sounds like a tube amp. Plus you can play with all the buffers!
Comparatively speaking, the transformer shielding is a very trivial thing to implement. I don't know where you are but if you get an encased main transformer or an antek with steel enclosure you'll be just fine.

Last edited by grataku; 7th August 2020 at 08:21 PM.

The diyAudio First Watt M2xHide this!Advertise here!