Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

The diyAudio First Watt M2x
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2020, 10:18 PM   #3081
LATB is offline LATB  United States
diyAudio Member

Follow-up on the CPU heatsink temperatures: emboldened by Mark pointing out that nothing terrible is going to happen, I tried running the CPU sinks without any fan.

Temperature is measured on top of one of the two MOSFET (only one channel at this point). Turns out, if you're willing to run at ~80 degC (at a room temperature of 71F), this works fine. However, inside an enclosure your milage will vary...

The dark blue curve in the graph shows what happens (ignore the other curves):

The plot updates on the left, so time runs from right to left. I started the run with the sink lying on the side (picture), and the temperature stabilized around 78 degC.

I then put a fan (picture) such that it just blew through the fins of the sink, not giving any air movements to the MOSFET assembly directly, and the temperature dropped to a bit below 60 degC (it would go much below that if I were to fan the top, too, even at very low RPM).

I thought by turning the cooler so that air could rise through the fins I would produce some chimney effect (picture) and the cooling would work better, but in this configuration the temperature went quickly above 80 degC, so I aborted.

The leftmost part of the curve is then going back to the first configuration on the side, no fan, and the temperature got stable again around 78 degC.
Attached Images
File Type: png fc.png (95.0 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-05-22-DSCF6195.jpg (175.1 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-05-22-DSCF6196.jpg (168.6 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-05-22-DSCF6188.jpg (189.0 KB, 315 views)
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:48 PM   #3082
TomServo is offline TomServo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default G5 heatsink

LATB:

That's a very interesting set of results.

I don't know the intended orientation of these heatsinks in the G5. Were these oriented in the mac pro chassis like you show your first picture? For some reason, I thought these were mounted with the long dimension along the vertical. But I have no particular reason to say that, other than that is how these strike me.

I picked up a few of these on Ebay to mess around with. I may end up using a fan, but I'd rather not, so we will see.

BTW, lots of interesting fan controllers for PC-oriented uses on eBay that are cheap and also provide displays of temperature, etc. 12v and you are running.

One last question: your measurements were for your original setup with 2 MOSFETs mounted to the single heatsink, right?
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:30 AM   #3083
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
LATB:
I don't know the intended orientation of these heatsinks in the G5. Were these oriented in the mac pro chassis like you show your first picture? For some reason, I thought these were mounted with the long dimension along the vertical. But I have no particular reason to say that, other than that is how these strike me.
see e.g. here.

The measurements were with both MOSFETs on one of the two sinks.
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:13 PM   #3084
TomServo is offline TomServo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default G5 heatsink

Hmmm.

I found a shot of the interior of a G5, and they do indeed have these sinks on their sides, like you show in your first photo.

After a quick thought, I can easily see why you saw a quick temperature rise when you tipped yours up a bit, trying to exploit the possibility of a 'chimney effect', but this slowed convection currents down, and also was moving warmer air further up the stack, instead of up and off the fins, as the first photo would suggest.

In any case, to a first approximation, if we put *one* MOSFET per sink, given your data, we can expect a delta T half that of what you measured, all other things begin equal. This suggests a steady state of approximately 51C, or around 124F in the vicinity of your measurement location. That seems quite tolerable. I would expect temperatures on the perimeter of the heatsink base, where fingers might touch, to be quite a bit less.

But in any case, these results show that these heatsinks can likely be used in a passive cooling manner, exposed externally to any case holding the boards themselves. As you say, if you put these in an enclosure, you must ventilate really well ('cheese grater' amp) and/or add fan(s). The use of fans clearly liberate you to mount these in just about any orientation you choose.

Nice work! Thanks for sharing about this project- This approach can radically reduce the cost of building these amps, now, because the heat sink cost has come substantially down, and it appears one is not necessarily forced into active cooling, but rather can do this by design choice.

I know what I am going to be doing when those G5 A1047 heatsinks arrive!
Old 24th May 2020, 11:43 PM   #3085
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar88 View Post
This is very interesting, LATB. Please share the schematics and software. I like using MCU's and if you've sorted out the PID's, even better.
I put it up on gitlab.comLATBauerdick / fc * GitLab.

This is not "production code", but mostly to try out things. I don't think a MCU is really needed here, Mark's regulator will do just fine -- but this is handy if you want to log temperatures and play around.

I didn't put much effort into documenting things, just ask if something is unclear.
Old 25th May 2020, 09:37 AM   #3086
thompsontechs is offline thompsontechs  United States
Freedom or Death
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post

This is not "production code", but mostly to try out things. I don't think a MCU is really needed here, Mark's regulator will do just fine -- but this is handy if you want to log temperatures and play around.

I didn't put much effort into documenting things, just ask if something is unclear.

Tape and grease? Looks like it...
Old 25th May 2020, 09:51 AM   #3087
Skylar88 is offline Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post

Downloaded, thanks LATB. I'm not going to use it right away, but archived it for when I need it later.

There are also other advantages of using a MCU. Temperature display, auto-shutdown in the event of the temperature exceeding a preset value, like when a fan stalls or doesn't work optimally, etc.
Old 25th May 2020, 07:05 PM   #3088
thompsontechs is offline thompsontechs  United States
Freedom or Death
diyAudio Member

I love this amp so much I want one for the Lab and one for the dedicated room. Started the order process for a mono version. The last one was dual mono, but this will be a true mono and I'm going to build all the boards find the two I like best and keep those in each amp. I already have the Ish, so just have what 4 more? :P

Here we go again!

JT
Old 25th May 2020, 07:16 PM   #3089
Bones13 is offline Bones13  United States
Techie Wanabe
diyAudio Member

Its a great amp. I'm running Mountain View, and its great. I have the Ishikawa boards completed, but I'm not going to use it till I set up a distortion measure rig.

Our Covid shutdown has completed, and the beach season has arrived to take me out of the house on weekends, so I am behind on building the other boards.

@pfarrell has kindly offered to do my SMT work, and the Norwood boards are due in one day soon. The last two: Tuscon - only needs the DIP socket soldered on, and the Austin - all parts are in, I will be doing solder work next weekend, and have all the boards completed.

Then, I just need listening time. Not sure how long its going to take to get the tops on those amps at this point. Perhaps one of the board sets will crystallize as "the one" early on. Not sure I will count on that at this point.
Old 25th May 2020, 07:21 PM   #3090
pfarrell is online now pfarrell  United States
diyAudio Member

Been listening to your Norwoods most of the weekend, after swapping out my own Mountain Views. Incredible I have to say—after a break from them—there's something about Norwood....So good.

The diyAudio First Watt M2xHide this!Advertise here!